1981 Honda Express 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Honda Express 2

Hi anyone any good with these bikes? I bought one for my wife and want to convert it from Oil and gas to 2 cycle. I need to know how the fuel lines would change and It has what I assume to be something to create vacume It sets on the side of the head with 3 nipples.

Thanks
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Hi Jeff, that engine is a 2 cycle, not sure what you mean by convert to 2 cycle? I had the original NC50 Express as my first "motorcycle". 100 mpg and lots of fun!

A-ha, you mean use pre-mix instead of the oil injection mixing the oil with the gas from a separate reservoir...

Why do you want to do that? Is the injection system not working?
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Following Bonz's lead

Jeff, Having had many two strokes (currently 5)..all of them with separate oil tank ...leading to pump. I am wondering why you might choose to eliminate the pump?I have NEVER experienced a pump failure in 40 plus years of use on misc. bikes ...To me it seems a pain in the butt to carry oil with you everywhere you go ..Running out of gas is bad enough, but trying to find two stroke oil at modern gas stations is worse yet ...
      Just my opinion but thought it might be worth your consideration ...Good luck
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

well

I figured it would be easier for my wife if just one can in the garage for my wife to fill it up. I will mix the fuel in its own can.

Comment

That is just asking for more work than it's worth. She is bound to the house to fill up, just fill the reservoir with oil, it lasts a good while, and she can put a couple bucks of gas in it when she needs to, and not worry about having to come home to do it.

If you do go with premix, you have to loop the oil feed line back to the pump so it will circulate the oil in the system to keep the pump from failing. If the pump fails you don't want that. Even if you aren't using it.

Don't over engineer this, it is dead simple to keep the oil filled up, you can check that and do it yourself, and she can get gas wherever she wants. That would be easier if it was my wife. And she won't get gas on her hands from a pump. But sure will opening a gas can and glugging it into the tank through the filler hole.
          Last edited by Bonz; 09-15-2015, 08:21 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

And a bit more info

Totally agree with Bonz here .Not only the reasons he mentioned ...but on some old Suzuki two strokes , there was a banjo bolt that delivered oil to the main bearings(driven by pump) not sure that applies to your Honda but worth looking into !
            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Joe,

The Honda sends the oil into the crank case from what I have researched, so should be fine if the pump function is deleted from that aspect. In the research I have done, (hint, hint, the Internet is a great thing for this kind of knowledge... ) many guys have done the delete of the injection pump function successfully and run 30:1 to 50:1 premix, the engine is not picky, however you MUST loop the line so the pump is lubricating itself perpetually.

Don't delete the pump, it's not easier for me, my wife or anyone to mess with a gas can in the garage vs a pump at the gas station where you are getting fresh gas each time.

Keep that reservoir topped off and be done with it, ride happy!
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I pulled the oil pump and put a plug in the hole, I mixed a batch of 20-1 oil and having a hard time getting it running, had it idling for a bit but any bit of throttle it would die.

Comment

Thinking out loud here .

Jeff, You didn't mention if the carb is CLEAN or not,That tiny little carbs pilot jet is on the edge of microscopic,it doesn't take much to clog it ...If it will run better with choke on ? It will often confirm clogged pilot circuit ,

Comment

carb

I pulled the two pins and the needle and float out of the carb body and soaked them a few days in carb cleaner, blew everything out with air. It seems like its not getting enough gas, I tried to hook up a alt fuel source but couldn't get it to start, I put my thumb over the carb and can get it to start but soon as I remove it dies. I ordered a new petcock as I don't think I am getting the fuel it needs

Comment

One step at a time

Jeff,
                      I think you may be getting the cart in front of the horse here .
                      removing the float bowl and soaking is NOT good enough!
                      Remove ALL the jets, emulsion tube, air screws ,slide and needle ,floats choke assembly etc.
                      Soak those and CAREFULLY poke appropriate sized tool through the orifices !followed by compressed air ...inspect each opening visually ...use magnifying glass if needed,...reassemble install and be on your way .While you're at it put in a new spark plug, check ignition timing clean air filter and change bottom end oil too ..

Comment

What no pics??? We cant have that...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Her she is on the day I got her

Comment

200 bucks

Comment

I remember those back in the day, they had to be registered, the one's with pedals did not.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X