Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to buy a Sport ATV - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to buy a Sport ATV - any suggestions?

I am going to buy a Sport ATV very soon. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback from firsthand experience on any new Sport Quads. I just sold my yamaha wariior so I don't really need Warrior feedback. I am considering the Yamaha Raptor, Honda 400Ex, Suzuki Z400, and the Polaris Predator.
    Let me know what you think!
    Yamaha Raptor 660r
    40.00%
    Honda TRx-400EX
    20.00%
    Suzuki Z400
    0.00%
    Polaris Predator 500
    40.00%
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

My experience with them is way out of date but the Polaris ATVs just handled better than the rest. They seemed to have a better grasp on suspension than the competition.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

A friend has a Raptor 660. His take is that the Yamaha stock tires are not as good as OEM on other brands. He added an FMC pipe and Goodyear tires, I think, said after that it was unbeatable. He also owned Polaris and Arctic Cat models, can't remember which ones.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I've driven a Raptor and they are sweet.
        When I was out at the sand pits some guy on a brand new Honda TRX450R smoked a Raptor. The Yamaha was stock and the honda had some mods though. I still love the Raptor, can't beat electric start and reverse on such a sporty quad. Also they sound really cool when they're running full out.

Comment

UPDATE:

I cannot get a new sport quad at this time. I am waiting for spring then buying a 4WD ATV like a Yamaha Big Bear 4x4.
          I did get a used sport quad. It is a 1993 Kawasaki Mojave 250 DOHC. It is pretty cool, but not as nice as my old Warrior. I only gave the guy $400.00 for the quad. New tires all the way around. He said it stalls when hot. I have only had it happen once so far. I am waiting on my shop manual to arrive. I think something electrical is happing like looseing spark, maybe bad connection or coil problem. Next thing I am going to do is replace the old spark plug and plug cap & Adjust the Valves. I have already cleaned the carb, drained tanks, and oil change. I have put several hard miles on it around the farm, and can get some good wheelies on it. Runs about 50MPH flat out, the quad is geared low it seems. It is also very nimble due to its size (a smidge smaller than a warrior). Great quad for the woods if you don't mind the kickstart & manual clutch. No battery in this quad by design, so it is going to be pretty simple to work on.
          Engine is way too noisey for my liking, so I hope the valve adjustment helps.
          I bought it with the intentions of putting a street bike engine on it anyways. Hopefully I can get some miles out of the old engine while looking for the donor street bike. I may put a XS650 engine or a KZ750 twin on it. I need to do some measuring.
          Bill Woods

Comment

I have ridden the Honda 400ex and a Polaris 500.

They all feel slow and boxey compared to my dirtbikes (XL500 and XL350).

The 400ex didn't do much for me, but felt pretty good compared to the 500 Polaris. The 400ex had a manual clutch. The 500 Polaris can pull fairly fast but I hate automatic clutches.

I have also ridden a Honda 250r. No fun until the power band kicks in and tries to rip your head off.

I have also ridden a bunch of other gutless quads. I suppose if someone just wanted some zip they could get a Banshee or something...
            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I decided to build my sport ATV. I am putting a GS425 Twin in my Kawasaki Mojave with a Lot of Help from my friends.
              Bill Woods

Comment

When ya get er done. Post a few pics of your creation and let us know how she does.
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X