CB100 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB100 Project

I have a '73 CB100 that I bought 20 years ago and rode around on as a kid. Its been sitting a few years in need of a head gasket so I've finally gotten around to working on it. I've got the engine out and will tear into it soon. I don't want to spend a lot of time doing a full restoration as I don't have much spare time at the moment however now that its all apart and looking filthy, its temping to tear it down all the way to repaint etc. Anyway I've been taking a few pics and I'll post some eventually, but for now whats the best way to get the engine case cleaned up?
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Soda blast it - non damaging to metal and cleans and degreases.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

i dont have a soda blaster unfortunately . . .
      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
      Green Dyna Coils
      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
      kevXS

Comment

Manual says to remove that center bolt but when i put a wrench to it the whole engine turns over. Any idea how to revove that bolt?

1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

bolt removal

If you can put it into gear...wedge something soft between the chain and sprocket.....or something soft ...such as a penny between the clutch hub and the gear on the crank...air impact would also work...may be left hand thread..use caution...
          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

cam chain tensioner

Still slowly picking away at my cb100, the cam chain tensioner has some kind of coating on it that has wore off significantly near the top. the metal underneath seems to be fine (no deep grooves in it). I'm temped to just leave it alone as I don't want to tear into this thing/spend any more than necessary, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on how crucial that coating is. The bike has about 5000 miles on it and will probably only get less than 20 hours of use per year once its back together.
            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
            Green Dyna Coils
            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
            kevXS

Comment

Is the coating missing where the chain rides? If so, I would replace it.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

yes its been obviously worn down from the chain
                1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                Green Dyna Coils
                Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                kevXS

Comment

It's time to replace it!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                    i dont have a soda blaster unfortunately . . .
                    I have a bookmark for a DIY soda blaster, involving nothing more than tubing, a box of soda, and an air nozzle (connected to compressor). Google it.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                      I have a bookmark for a DIY soda blaster, involving nothing more than tubing, a box of soda, and an air nozzle (connected to compressor). Google it.
                      That's how I did the entire engine on my latest project. The good thing about it is that a bit of soda getting into the engine a little, or gearbox or whatever, doesn't matter....once the engine is running and oil circulates, the soda dissolves. Then an oil and filter change and it's out. Of course, if one used grit or sand, that would most certainly not be a good idea!

I used only a small compressor... 9.2cfm and a 2.5HP motor. I used two 25kg sacks of sodium bicarbonate for the whole engine but I didn't bother trying to recycle or catch it...I just blasted away in the yard.

I actually used domestic salt to blast the camcover because I just ran out of bicarb. It worked fine! I rinsed everything very well afterwards of course.

One important thing with soda blasting though...you will definitely need a moisture trap on the airline. I bought a small plastic one that fitted onto the blasting gun itself and then the airline plugged into it. If you try to blast without this trap, as I did at first, you will get a clogged up nozzle in only a few minutes...even less if there is humidity in the outside air. These traps are only cheap but they are a must for soda blasting.......
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

yeah i figured I should replace it, was just hoping I could get away with leaving it as I now have to buy an impact screwdriver (to get the cover off) a puller tool (to remove the generator) the tensioner and a new cam chain (cause I might as well replace it since I'll have access). Replacing that cheap part will be expensive!
                        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                        Green Dyna Coils
                        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                        kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                          yeah i figured I should replace it, was just hoping I could get away with leaving it as I now have to buy an impact screwdriver (to get the cover off) a puller tool (to remove the generator) the tensioner and a new cam chain (cause I might as well replace it since I'll have access). Replacing that cheap part will be expensive!
                          Hi kevxs,
                          Princess Auto can help.
                          http://www.flyertown.ca/flyers/princ...r_run_id=36714

Impact driver $14 on the bottom of about page 3 They have a few branches and their web delivery is reasonable.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

thanks Phil, I actually drove there last night and bought it. Just saw your post now.
                            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                            Green Dyna Coils
                            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                            kevXS

Comment

the tool worked great!
                              1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                              Green Dyna Coils
                              Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                              kevXS