Xt 550???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xt 550???

I have a guy offering me a mint condition (albeit 16k mile) XT550 plus a little cash ($200) on his end for my old truck (I value the truck at around $1100 give or take $100) and I've been wanting another dual sport bike for some time. I already know that the suspension is late 1970/early 1980 tech and the drum brake is also 1970 tech (which I have an idea to help and it rhymes with bisk drake swap) but my main concern is the engine and longevity. With regular fluid changes and chain tensioning/valve adjustment, how many miles are too many miles? It runs good, excellent power, no smoke, and no funny sounds...
    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

I have a buddy with an XT550, great solid bike. Biggest thing would be to get it for what it's worth to you. Based on what you are saying, it's around $900 for the bike value. Plus $200 you can save for a rainy day. 16k miles isn't a lot IMO if it's nice like you indicate. I would do that in a heartbeat.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I had an XT550 a few years ago. Great bike! The only thing that was wrong with it was the rear shock had warn out and there is no direct bolt on replacement. I wish I never sold it. At the time my wife said only one bike at a time... How time changes things.

they regularly sell for between $800 and $1200 so that is not a bad trade.
      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Cool I will definitely entertain it a bit more closely. Still haven't been able to find much on engine life, but I imagine if quality control was anything like the 11, the engine should hold up well past 30k...

Comment

They are a bullet proof motor and rest of bike is rock solid. Used to do serious trail/single trac riding 'back in the day' with several who had those when they first came out........definitely a rock-solid 'thumper'!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yeah that's what I've been reading. ~38hp and only 320lb sounds like fun to me! The truck is a 74 Ford F250 Supercab long bed, with a 69 Cadillac 472ci engine and Cad TH400 trans. It's the truck equivalent of a big mean thumper, only negative is the truck is right at about 4,000lb. But I think I'd get a lot more use and fun outta the XT than I do the truck. I have another vehicle that has a tow hitch and seats 6, so the truck only gets moved from behind the fence about once a month and even then it only goes to the gas station and a few times around the block.

Comment

Working...
            X