Newer bike with older parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer bike with older parts?

Maybe a member here can offer some insight. Eventually Id like a newer bike but would prefer nostalgic looks. Cant afford the CB1100 Honda and thats the only bigbore retro avail in the states- but I cant afford that new anyway.

On the Suzuki GS website a member posted this pic but had no details.

This is an early/mid 2000s 1200 bandit.

This Bandit has a 1979 GS1000 tank, seat, side covers and fairing. Im wondering if the tank was cut out and rewelded to accomodate the double frame.

wow that second bike looks nice!
    1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
    1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
    1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
    1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
    1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
    1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
    1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
    1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
    RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Even on the Suzuki website no one knows anything. Its a hell of a lot easier to make the tank work than to put the new engine and support system in an old frame.. Im assuming the tank was cut up and re welded to accommodate but WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FOR SURE!

Comment

That tank's capacity has probably been chopped by at-least two gallons judging by how the frame is angled up-top, but there may be more too it than meets the eye. You can drop anything in anything if it fits, but there is tons of welding, etc. coming after. Everything he did to that bike is purely cosmetic: mirrors, master cylinder, grips, seat, tank, seat pan, etc. Notice everything mechanical is Bandit.

I nominate James England to turn his FJR into an XS1100 retro, lol.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The UK gets all the cool retro bikes the US does not.

Comment

That's why you can keep the classics alive, and buy a new one and have equal amounts of fun.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              That's why you can keep the classics alive, and buy a new one and have equal amounts of fun.
              I love my old bikes but I do get tired of old parts failing and non availabilty of new parts. The new Honda CB1100 is cool but I was dissapointed that its under 90hp. I see the magazine time for the 1/4 mile is tha same as the 78Xs1100E- 11.80 seconds. Maybe in about 6 years I can pick up a clean CB1100.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                I love my old bikes but I do get tired of old parts failing and non availabilty of new parts. The new Honda CB1100 is cool but I was dissapointed that its under 90hp. I see the magazine time for the 1/4 mile is tha same as the 78Xs1100E- 11.80 seconds. Maybe in about 6 years I can pick up a clean CB1100.

90bhp could quite probably be tweaked to more though, I'd have thought. Get one now. Life is too short to wait 6 years.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...d-ride-review/
                Last edited by James England; 11-22-2013, 08:37 PM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I have not ridden a CB1100, but I assume it is far more refined than the XS1100. I expect it has more useable power throughout the RPM range. I bet it stops too! I like the character of the old bike, that's why I ride it every day!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Bigger diameter fork tubes too. An exhaust change would tweak it a bit. OEM looks heavy and restrictive.

What's the general opinion on those silver side panels? IMO they'd look better same as the tank.

It's about 10bhp less than the xs1100 but I bet it's not noticeable
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                    X