Exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhausts

Since we all love pix here, and I have no XS1100 to post about yet, I thought I would post some photos of my new exhaust silencers...made in the UK by SP Engineering. http://www.spengineering.co.uk/ they are stainless steel and carbon fibre and much lighter than OEM. .. A weight saving of 6.6lbs .They also have a civilised, throaty, deep sound which is not at all antisocial.

I had the link pipes made by a local place only a mile away http://www.rebelpowerpipes.co.uk/

Most aftermarket cans have a long link pipe, in order to avoid tighter bends and welding I think! and these put the ends of the silencers too far back on the bike for my taste. So I had Rebel Powerpipes make some for me today. I'm very pleased with the results, as the cans are no further back on the bike than the OEM ones and actually tucked in much tighter.

SP ship internationally, I believe...

Last edited by James England; 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

A few comments and questions . . . First of all, the bike overall is beautiful! That carbon fiber exhaust screams "sexy"! Two questions: the handlebars resemble an older design, similar to "euro" bars? Secondly, how would you rate your headlight versus stock setup?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      A few comments and questions . . . First of all, the bike overall is beautiful! That carbon fiber exhaust screams "sexy"! Two questions: the handlebars resemble an older design, similar to "euro" bars? Secondly, how would you rate your headlight versus stock setup?
      Praise indeed, Mr MacD!

The bars are after-market Renthal which I put on because they are alloy and weigh much less than the chromed steel OEM ones. About 50% less. Also, I liked them in black instead of chrome. I put 'up and back' bar risers on to avoid getting a bad lower back! Pic below.

The headlamp performance is as good as OEM on dip and but better on main beam and has projector lenses with a separate bulb and lens for dip and main beam. At the moment though, they are just standard bulbs, so I think better replacements are available? The lenses are less likely to get shattered by a stone. The OEM is a very big diameter with a chromed rim and I just never liked it.

Here's the risers..
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Here's the bike when I first bought it. I suppose some people will thing that I've spoiled its appearance but, after renovating my last XS1100 to standard, I just wanted to let rip and do something non-.standard. The bike is much lighter and faster now though..

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
          Here's the bike when I first bought it. I suppose some people will thing that I've spoiled its appearance but, after renovating my last XS1100 to standard, I just wanted to let rip and do something non-.standard. The bike is much lighter and faster now though..
          Hi James,
          I could love that in both configurations
          I have said it before: How Yamaha can think there is no market for that in North America is beyond me.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Killler

That just says i love to ride !! I love it ! Done };~)
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Hi James,
              there's only a partial view of the replacement headlight.
              Got a full view of it?
              You say it looks better than the stock giant eyeball?
              I reckon it'll soon show up on Dr Who as the face of the new Cybermen.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                You say it looks better than the stock giant eyeball?
                well, it does to me, although it's not everyone's cup of tea, I must admit.....I positively disliked the single big eyeball and they are very vulnerable to breaking, apparently.......here it is,complete with eyelid

Here it is in full..... I've shortened the mirror stalks since this pic was taken, as they were far too long! I made them from carbon fibre and overdid the length somewhat!

I remember the terrifying Cybermen. Nothing scared me as much, not even the Daleks. Not even the Zarbies.

Here's the same one on another bike, different colours...

Here's one I thought was pushing things a bit too far....
                Last edited by James England; 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Love the exhausts James, might have to look into a set for my bike, but I have to say, that your headlight setup does nothing for me. I much prefer the stock single light setup on mine.

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Praise indeed, Mr MacD!
                    Here's the risers..
                    You surprise me James!! those risers look very bitty, messy and cobbled, the original risers look like they're bolt in jobs, I'm sure you know someone that could machine up some bespoke versions that pull back and rise the same amount in one piece, and they'd probably cost not much more than the bought things, they ain't cheap.
                    Tom
                    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                      You surprise me James!! those risers look very bitty, messy and cobbled, the original risers look like they're bolt in jobs, I'm sure you know someone that could machine up some bespoke versions that pull back and rise the same amount in one piece, and they'd probably cost not much more than the bought things, they ain't cheap.
                      No, they weren't cheap. But easy to fit and not too bad looks-wise when not in close-up, if you see what I mean.... I never thought of getting bespoke ones made, actually. Yes, they do bolt through, so , as you say, not difficult to fit....... I might look into it, as , yes, they do look bolt-on and, indeed, are just that!

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                        Love the exhausts James, might have to look into a set for my bike, but I have to say, that your headlight setup does nothing for me. I much prefer the stock single light setup on mine.

Yes, it's a like it or hate it thing, no doubt about that. For some reason, I really disliked the OEM big round headlamp....I'm not sure why though...it's just so enormous and supposedly prone to stones breaking it (although I don't know if that's just an urban myth.) it's interesting though, I've had about the same number of people who hate my setup as those that love it.

That's the good thing about bikes though....the art of the possible

Comment

Working...
                        X