One 1979 LTD 1000 Brought Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One 1979 LTD 1000 Brought Back

I'm old school, like my bikes as close to stock as possible.

Spent most of the summer restoring and bringing this one back.

Now it's on to my "other" 1979...a pretty nice XS1100F!

The only non stock item is exhaust...Kaw used cheap ass Jardine slip ons on their early LTDs...not this ol boy...I had my old Russ Collins header left and in my book anyway, an LTD just doesn't look right without a quality performance header on it...what do you guys think?

Thanks...Ride Safe!

Tom
    79 "Excess" Eleven
    www.rrwatch.net

That's a mighty fine looking bike!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

That is one cool 'go-slo-scoot' as we used to call our bikes back in the early-mid '70's. Beautiful. Will be looking forward to some pics of your '79F, as that is what I ride. I have it almost all original, too, with the exception of the exhaust.( and TC's fuse panel).
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

That bike being similar in displacement to ours, and the fact that it's chain-driven, I'm curious to hear how it rides compared to the XS11.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the LTD was the cruiser model of the KZ1000, just as our Special is, or the GS "L" model.
        Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 10-03-2013, 08:44 PM.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Nice bike! I have a 77 KZ1000, and its practically the same bike. You wouldnt have any extra KZ parts laying around would ya?
          1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
          1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
          1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
          1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
          1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
          1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
          1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
          1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
          RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

very nice Job!
            give us a comparison to the XS.
            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
            650SF
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
            XS1100SG Project bike
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by tbird71 View Post
              I'm old school, like my bikes as close to stock as possible. Spent most of the summer restoring and bringing this one back.
              Now it's on to my "other" 1979...a pretty nice XS1100F!
              The only non stock item is exhaust...Kaw used cheap ass Jardine slip ons on their early LTDs...not this ol boy...I had my old Russ Collins header left and in my book anyway, an LTD just doesn't look right without a quality performance header on it...what do you guys think?
              Hi Tbird,
              had a WTF moment when I misread Brought to be Brough but yeah, you brought this one back real nice.
              Typically 4 into 1 headers boost the top end but lose some mid range; did this happen on the Kawi?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Parts

Thanx for all the comments guys...The XS is more like a Cadillac compared to a Chevy if comparing it to the Kaw...you cannot "horse" the XS around, my Kaw didn't lose any mid range with the header it does fine up to 115 which is as fast as I'll go...LOL

I like them both for different reasons, on a straight cruise I much prefer the XS as you know it doesn't really open up until the higher rev range, in town and just cattin about the LTD is my choice, much easier stop and go and Kawis have a better transmission, just a fact when doing a lot of shifting.

The XS is a LONG HAUL bike, if you're going 80-100 miles on the interstate for example. It's a fine machine for what it was intended for.

I may have few parts if you tell me what you're looking for I will see.
                I DO have those stock pipes, but want to keep them should I sell this my RC header's coming off. Never know when I may decide to do another KZ1000B...LOL
                Thanks...Ride Safe!

Tom
                79 "Excess" Eleven
                www.rrwatch.net

Comment

Dang, you should have a little fun modding your mechanical advance to advance the timing. My bike runs like a rocket from take-off with the set-up I have, and I don't see fuel suffering.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I stopped at Rider's Hill yesterday for a cup of coffee while I waited to meet somebody. The usual bikes were parked around the place for a sunny Saturday. This one got my attention.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Nice Yoshi pipe. Sucks to see that dent in the tank. I had a little KZ440. Might have been the worst bike ever, lol. I don't like bikes with electric start only, with the exception to my GSX'R and CBR.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

I just found this one on Craig's list. Ick!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I have seen it all now....

APES on a KZ1000...I hope that "fad" of the 60s goes away soon...
                          Next thing we'll see is apes on a Helix...LOL
                          Thanks...Ride Safe!

Tom
                          79 "Excess" Eleven
                          www.rrwatch.net

Comment

Originally posted by tbird71 View Post
                            APES on a KZ1000...I hope that "fad" of the 60s goes away soon...
                            Next thing we'll see is apes on a Helix...LOL
                            Hi Tbird,
                            apes are no biggie, just a few moments work to swap 'em out for something more sensible, eh?
                            Even the one whitewall (none or both fer chrissake) don't bother me, it'll need replacing soon enough.
                            What intrigues me is the bike's rear end treatment.
                            Does the rear fender hinge up and down as the rear wheel moves
                            or have the rear shocks been strutted or what?
                            Last edited by fredintoon; 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                            X