Kawasaki Concours spark issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki Concours spark issue

I am bringing this Connie back from it's long deep sleep. It appears that maintenance was not at the top of the PO's list of things to do. It sat since 1997 before I got it. The Carbs were real dirty and #1 carb was corroded.I rebuilt the carbs and bought a new gas tank, since the old one is full of rust and in pretty sad shape. I replaced the Spark plugs, wires, and caps. The bike will start and run on 2 cylinders, but I cant get spark on cylinder's 2 & 3. I checked the P/U coils with a volt/ohm meter and they are within spec. I tested the coils and the primary and secondary resistance is within spec too. I have chased it down to the green wire on the right coil. I get 10.5 volts at the left coil with the leads connected to the two wires leading to the left coil. When I connect the meter to the wires going to the right coil, I get nothing. If I connect the red volt meter lead to the red wire going to the right coil, and the black volt meter lead to the black wire going to the left coil, I get 10.5 volts. I can't get any readings using the green wire from the right coil. Can someone tell me if this could indicate a bad igniter box?Or could it be the J-box? I know I should have higher battery voltage than 10.5 volts, and will charge the battery to full.

BTW, this is a 1986 Concours, and the left coil runs cyl's 1 & 4, right coil runs 2 & 3
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
    I am bringing this Connie back from it's long deep sleep. It appears that maintenance was not at the top of the PO's list of things to do. It sat since 1997 before I got it. The Carbs were real dirty and #1 carb was corroded.I rebuilt the carbs and bought a new gas tank, since the old one is full of rust and in pretty sad shape. I replaced the Spark plugs, wires, and caps. The bike will start and run on 2 cylinders, but I cant get spark on cylinder's 2 & 3. I checked the P/U coils with a volt/ohm meter and they are within spec. I tested the coils and the primary and secondary resistance is within spec too. I have chased it down to the green wire on the right coil. I get 10.5 volts at the left coil with the leads connected to the two wires leading to the left coil. When I connect the meter to the wires going to the right coil, I get nothing. If I connect the red volt meter lead to the red wire going to the right coil, and the black volt meter lead to the black wire going to the left coil, I get 10.5 volts. I can't get any readings using the green wire from the right coil. Can someone tell me if this could indicate a bad igniter box?Or could it be the J-box? I know I should have higher battery voltage than 10.5 volts, and will charge the battery to full.

BTW, this is a 1986 Concours, and the left coil runs cyl's 1 & 4, right coil runs 2 & 3
    For a start, need to have a GOOD fully charged battery. Put that battery on a 1-1 1/2amp charger for several hours see it it still will come up to a min. of 12.8-9volts. 13.1-2 is ideal. Anyhting in the 12.5v range, and won't come up from there means its already headed where all sulfated batteries go.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have an '06 ZG1000. Check this site for help and tech advice:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?PHPSE...d0;wwwRedirect

Lot of good info there.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...