Baffles have been put in the pipes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffles have been put in the pipes.

Hi again gurus. I just put in some 8" 'can opener' style baffles in my bell type mufflers. I removed the 'screen type' inserts which had no muffling quality. I have had hard starting, and my question : is there general rule of richening or leaning the mixture needles when adding baffles? The back-pressure should now be similar to the stock exhaust in my estimation, so the stock sized jets with the stock airbox I'm running should be compatible and in tune. I synced the carbs before I added the baffles, and maybe should resync now? The bike runs as before, but is quieter. Thanks for any input.
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

The type of baffle you put in can change your jetting needs to richer or leaner.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
      Hi again gurus. I just put in some 8" 'can opener' style baffles in my bell type mufflers. I removed the 'screen type' inserts which had no muffling quality. I have had hard starting, and my question : is there general rule of richening or leaning the mixture needles when adding baffles? The back-pressure should now be similar to the stock exhaust in my estimation, so the stock sized jets with the stock airbox I'm running should be compatible and in tune. I synced the carbs before I added the baffles, and maybe should resync now? The bike runs as before, but is quieter. Thanks for any input.
      Saw your thread and went ...huh?.....then I remembered. Would help in the future to continue your threads to the original posting issue....so, with that, again, will not be an issue as far as sync, but with some back pressure it may richen up a bit in the idle/low rpm circuit. Not an issue unless plugs start carboning up and fouling, which BTW is better than too lean. Ventilated pistons will ruin your day, and the motor.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Will definitely keep an eye on plug readings, and adjust accordingly.
        79 F
        Previously owned: (among others)
        1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
        1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
        1973 Suzuki TM 125
        1979 XS1100 F
        2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
        1991 BMW K75

Comment

Working...
        X