I know, I know ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know, I know ...

I know this is the wrong place to post this but you guys are just too good and I'm just too frustrated.

In addition to three XS11s I have a 1995 Kawasaki Police Special.

Symptoms

Battery is fully charged.
    Turn the key on and the green neutral light lights.
    Pull in the clutch - required to start
    Push the start button - no love
    No sound at all
    Neutral light dims

I'm not very good with electrical stuff but I cleaned all the connections I could think of.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aches n Pains (Doug)
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
    Symptoms

Battery is fully charged.
    Turn the key on and the green neutral light lights.
    Pull in the clutch - required to start
    Push the start button - no love
    No sound at all
    Neutral light dims

I'm not very good with electrical stuff but I cleaned all the connections I could think of.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aches n Pains (Doug)
    Neutral light dims, clue from my end, power draw. Could you pull the plugs and see if the engine turns over please ?
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Light Dims

Sounds like the starter circuit is trying to do it's job by the light dimming. So, I am thinking one or more of the following - poor ground, bad battery, bad solenoid, bad starter. See if you can remotely engage starter solenoid with jumper switch or screw driver. Try jumping it off with another battery/vehicle. Look for loose or corroded connections at battery plus and ground and at solenoid.

MP
      Last edited by MPittma100; 08-19-2013, 06:41 PM.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hey Doug,

First off, how old is the battery, what is it's condition, have you had it load tested?

Next, have you checked the frame/grounds connections, especially for the starter motor?

Next, use a set of jumper cables, you can jump the large connectors on the starter solenoid and see if it turns/spins. If so, then it could be the solenoid, but also the starter button circuit.

Now, sorry to do this, but does belong in the OTHER BIKEs section, I'll leave an expiring redirect for a day so you can tell where it went, and others can follow it if they desire. I would say though that a search for starter problems would be applicable to your problem.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Doug,
          a battery may well show 12+ Volts and still have eff all for power so first, be sure of your battery's cranking Amps.
          Jumper it off your car battery. If the bike fires up like that but not otherwise, yer battery is hooped.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 08-20-2013, 09:16 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks

Guys,

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. As always,. you guys were right on. Battery was showing 13.5 volts after a trickle charge but when I threw a load tester on it was a big FAIL. New battery and started right up.

Donebysunday - You're thought to remove the plugs and try it is a great way to get a cheap load tester. Never thought of that and I'm 70 - or else I forgot it.

Thanks again,

Doug
            1995 KZ100P
            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Hey Aches- how does the power of the police Kawasaki compare to your XS1100? I love acceleration power comparisons. I restored a 1979 GS1000N for my brother. After doing the valves the Suzuki felt comparable in power to my 79 XS1100F. I didn't thrash the GS because its not mine but the power came on very strong and instant- like an XS.

Comment

Working...
              X