Loose side stand advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose side stand advice

The other day I noticed that my side stand has some play. Maybe a half inch in either direction laterally across the pivot point. It doesn't seem like it's a loose bolt. I suspect that it's just bent.

Anyone else have experience with something like this?

Was there a worthwhile fix that you found or am I better off getting another one via ebay?
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

What bike are we talking about? It could be worn from lack of grease.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by buickyouth View Post
      The other day I noticed that my side stand has some play. Maybe a half inch in either direction laterally across the pivot point. It doesn't seem like it's a loose bolt. I suspect that it's just bent.

Was there a worthwhile fix that you found or am I better off getting another one via ebay?
      My heavy ole' Venturer was gettin' the same way with decades of use and its additional weight. The bolt is shouldered(larger round at pivot point). That shoulder bottoms when tightened. Years of pivoting wears the mount ears a bit. Remove the bolt, leaving stand and return spring in place and add a washer to bolt on OUTSIDE of mounting ear. that will pull ears in a bit tighter before it bottoms up against shoulder. Would NOT try and bend ears seperately. Hope that was clear as mud and helps.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The stand on my 650 was very loose. The hole in the bracket had elongated just a bit and there was a lot of space between the stand and the ears. I put a thin washer between them and it tightened it right up.
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by buickyouth View Post

Hi buickyouth,
          no matter what bike it's on, most likely it's plain ol' worn out.
          That is, the hole in the stand has worn oval and the bolt it pivots on is necked down.
          Option 1) Live with it, it's not critical.
          Option 2) Fix it. Replace the bolt with a new one. Drill out the hole oversize and press a steel bushing in to bring the hole back to stock diameter.
          You could even go all 1930s, use a bronze bushing and install a grease nipple.
          Option 3) Buy from e-bay? Yes if you get a new one (a used one will be just as worn as yours) and get a new pivot bolt too.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi buickyouth,
            no matter what bike it's on, most likely it's plain ol' worn out.
            That is, the hole in the stand has worn oval and the bolt it pivots on is necked down.
            Option 1) Live with it, it's not critical.
            Option 2) Fix it. Replace the bolt with a new one. Drill out the hole oversize and press a steel bushing in to bring the hole back to stock diameter.
            You could even go all 1930s, use a bronze bushing and install a grease nipple.
            Option 3) Buy from e-bay? Yes if you get a new one (a used one will be just as worn as yours) and get a new pivot bolt too.
            Fred, you forgot Option 4) Buy a sidecar and never have to worry about a side stand again!
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
              Fred, you forgot Option 4) Buy a sidecar and never have to worry about a side stand again!
              Hi George,
              au contraire, mon frere!
              Admittedly a rig don't need a side stand but it ain't always a rig, eh?
              The sidecar has to come off to get at the bike's right-hand side to work on it.
              That's when you need a side stand.
              Or you'll need to push a 600 lb bike to where there's something to lean it on.
              I only needed that lesson once.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X