Time for a new back tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new back tire

I know the subject has been beat to death but I'd like to get some opinions as far as what you like radial vs standard tire. Right now I'm leaning towards the standard. Thanks for any input.
    81 H

I honestly didnt know they still made bias ply.
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
      I honestly didnt know they still made bias ply.
      All the tires Ive seen for the xs11 are bias ply (17" rear). I have not found a radial anywhere. From reading on the forum, if you were to mix the two the consensus was always have a bias ply follow the radial, never the other way around.. you may wish to verify this if you plan to mix the two.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

bias ply vs radial

correct. kenda and continental advertise they are introducing radial tires for vintage bikes. I haven't been able to find any in the phoenix area and none of the shops have any info on them either. if/when they are available i'll try them on my '80 xs1100 special but for now I really like my new bias ply shinko 777's. have about 300 miles on them and they work very well, no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
          All the tires Ive seen for the xs11 are bias ply (17" rear). I have not found a radial anywhere. From reading on the forum, if you were to mix the two the consensus was always have a bias ply follow the radial, never the other way around.. you may wish to verify this if you plan to mix the two.
          Sorry, radial ply and bias do NOT play well together on a scoot, no matter which one is in front! In fact, alot of bike radials of different manufacurers don't play well together. Some have 0degree belting and others don't. Mixing two different belt designs don't play together either. Owning a Honds ST for many a year now, and VERY familiar with the radial bike tire world, they play together preferably in matched same brand/model tire only. There IS alot of radial choices out there for the 17" on our Standards too......Metzler being one of them. Just do it in pairs or you WILL be dissapointed.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
          X