No announcement yet.

Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a few hours of playing with these plastic fairings, I have to admit, I am not having much fun. Trying to get these cracked, scratched up things in decent condition is taking A LOT of time. And I have not gotten to the point of trying to smooth out all the places the paint is chipped and flaking off.

I started looking up this "Streetfighter" thing that seems to be pretty popular. Now, I tend to be a pretty OEM type, and definitely not taking this to the level of chopping frames or building solo seat setups. But cutting down the plastics and making it a more manageable paint project is enticing to me.

So here is what I am considering and am interested in opinion.

Option 1, repaint to look something similar to stock.

Option 2, cut down some of the body fairings, keep the stock headlight and gages, windshield and such, cut the fender down a little, and black out some of the rear frame cover so it blends with the frame but covers the wiring and such. The red is just to highlight the body work, color is still up for grabs. Trying to avoid repainting the tank.

Option 3, similar to option 2, but a little less of the body covers.

Option 4 is similar to three, but going the next step to eliminate the front fairing section, take out the frame that holds the fairing, headlight, and gages. Make a custom bracket to hold the gages to the tripple trees, and add headlight ears on the forks to mount a round headlight and the turn signals, similar to an XS11 Special type setup, but in black. I have a headlight bucket I am working with, might makeup the bracket tomorrow and try to picture that much of it first.

Once I cut the panels there is no turning back. Since it is a resale project and not a keeper I am wondering what the general population thinks. OR this case, the XS community anyway.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Definitely stock for me. Since you are fixing it to sell, make sure you put it up here. I would love to have it depending on price and what my money looks like at the time. I couldn't ride one for very long but I know it would feel amazing. Good luck on whatever you choose. I think you would get more if you paint it and put stock stickers back on it.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

+1. IMO, the more you deviate from stock, the bigger the challenge you will have to sell it.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Either stock (option 1) or go all the way (option 4). The light/cluster floating out there on it's own frame just doesn't do it for me.

I'd say give option 1 your best effort, and the next owner can always strip it off the plastics if they are so inclined.
          '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

So it's not a "proper" Katana then.
            http://www.bikeexif.com/wp-content/u...i-katana-1.jpg

Comment

SO I went with the stock option. Here is the bike with all her garbs back on, freshly painted. A little work to do on it yet, but 95% there. Also found the rear tire has severe cracking in all the seams, so it will need new shoes before I can sell it. Kind of scared me I have been riding it, I think they only showed after putting some miles on, as I am certain I gave the tire a good review before riding it.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Came out lookin pretty good! That first post had me wonderin at first, as I never figured you to be one to spend much time on a 'zip-splat'.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Leave it naked and lever a 1200 Bandit motor in there. It fits.

Comment

I've got an '06 model, (last year before calling it a GSXF). They are decent bikes. Call mine 'ole reliable". The bodywork is pretty similar from mine back to '93, but the front plastic is different, (double headlights). Have always wondered what it would look like as a street fighter, but too afraid to strip it down as its what I ride when the old ones don't want to wake up. Good job on the resto, can't wait to see how she turns out. They were never particularily expensive bikes, but comfy compared to full on sport platforms, cheap to insure, (sport touring designation), and are still quick enough to give your wallet a headache if you don't see the cops in time.
                    81 H "Traumaha"
                    06 KLR 650
                    06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                    05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                    78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                    79 RD400 (Stolen)
                    78 KE175
                    Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Well, it is finished...and sold. Last night I finished up tuning the bike and getting the carbs synched. Had a guy come buy that wanted it, so I sold it.

HERE is the for sale post with the final pictures of how it left.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                      X