Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana

There is a 92-93 Katana locally I am considering for a turn over bike. Any one got any expereince with them? It has been sitting since 2009, so it will be work to get it running again. Carb rebuild, brake system overhaul, all fresh fluids. Maybe a new chain?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

So, here is the latest project as it begins. Not an XS11, but it was looking for a new home and came to me fairly inexpensive. The PO laid it down on I-75 here in Cincinnati going about 70 MPH. He woke up in the hospital, can't recall about 1/2 a day before the wreck. So he barely rode the bike since then, that was 2009. He has rode it around his apartment building lot now and then over the years since, but has not started it in about 1 yr.

So, let the fun begin. I already got the body panels off, and now am trying to get the gas cap off. The key will only turn part way, so it will not come off.

Yeah, interesting graphic on the tank guards...

This side is scraped up from the bike falling over in the parking lot a few times....

This is the side where it got laid down...Repainted but with non metalic paint, basically a rattle can almost match...

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

OK, question number one - How to support a bike that has no center stand?

First time I have ran into this issue. I am guessing I need to put some jack stands under the frame after lifting with a jack of some type.

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

[QUOTE=DGXSER;410683]OK, question number one - How to support a bike that has no center stand?

First time I have ran into this issue. I am guessing I need to put some jack stands under the frame after lifting with a jack of some type.[/QUOTE

I had to put a jack on each side of the engine guard and one in the middle and jack evenly. That was on my xs. I guess you don't have an engine guard so that will be tougher. I am looking for something like that. I found a 1985 (I THINK) Kawasaki gpz750 turbo that I may pick up. Good luck, looks like a nice bike.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

You could buy a stand for the rear of the bike. Looks like this...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ear-Stand.aspx
          Last edited by WMarshy; 06-02-2013, 03:18 AM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
            You could buy a stand for the rear of the bike. Looks like this...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ear-Stand.aspx
            Does it come with the lackey to jack the thing up while you hold the bike upright?

CZ

Comment

If you can get some sort of graphics back on it, it's a pretty motorcycle.

xtreemedecals.com
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

the rear stands are handy. I have always delt with newer sportbikes and now that I have a garage full of xs's I feel like I'm in a whole new world. Sorry if you alreayd know this and I am just sounding like a moron. The rear stand will basiclly hold the bike under the swingwarm. The handle on the stand will allow you to rise the bike on a piviot without needing to jack it up.

Comment

Well I have done alot of work on the bike and learned how to deal without the center stand. However, If I ever hear of someone ditching one on a bike I may just shoot them. They are way to handy to have on it!!!!

Only way I can get this bike up and supported is to pull the exhaust off, then I can put jack stands under the center stand mounts. Everything else , swing arm, frame rails, etc...slopes one way or another and slides on my jack stands, or pops my jack stands up on one leg. I did have an interesting time with it, almost dropped it on myself once.

So far, the work required included, new fork seals, New carb jets, a SERIOUS cleaning of the gas tank, getting the gas cap unstuck, and cleaning it thoroughly, paint for the exhaust system, front brake light switch, speedo light bulb, A new battery, new choke cable, got a used signal gen cover (broken when the bike fell over in the parking lot several times), used chain guard, Rear foot peg, and the front turn signals.

Stock turn signals were $25 a piece, being a cheapazz, I got aftermarket ones for $18 for the pair. However, they were to short to extend past the body cowling. So, I picked up some metal sleeves, some lamp rod and some nuts, and made extensions to move them out.

The plastic area is stock, you can see the extension here painted black.

I also found the right handle bar was bent, but a piece of 2X4 for a rest and a BFH got it back in line. Also needed a new headlight bulb. It was tough to figure that one out, the bulb worked intermittently, and high beam worked perfectly. So I cleaned up the hi-lo beam switch, and traced wires, checked current, and eventually found I had 12V at the light all the time the key is on. A nyway, got it resolved.

Bled new fluid in all the brake systems. Cleaned the carbs out thoroughly, had to buy new pilot jets. These carbs are the simplest to get in and out of any I have worked on!! two screws and four clamps and the airbox pulls straight up out. four clamps and a couple cables later and the carbs pull right up out. New oil filter and oil, only about 1 qt drained out of it, this has me a little worried. Anyway, went to start it, nothing. Jump the solenoid and the starter turned. So, trace the circuit, the kill switch was filthy. cleaned it up and she cranks over good. Got it running, synched the carbs. Oiled the chain up good. Put a few miles on it up and down my street. Not at all a comfortable bike for me though.

So here are the body panels that need work, A LOT of work. I like metal much better I think. Not sure I can use regular bondo on this stuff.

This is the left side panel, where the bike got laid down in 09. It has been repainted, but not with the right paint, and the body work is rough.

Here is the underside, you can see all the fiberglass work done to it.

Here is the right side, where it got dropped in the parking lot several times over the 2009-2013 period.

So, here is how the bike sits as of now.

Needs mirrors. I am thinking of going with bar end mirrors, but they all seem t use some wedge in the bar, and these bars have a threaded plate welded in already.

Also, the petcock uses some little spring type tab for the prime function, well, it seems it is brittle. Mine is in two pieces, and it is not a part you can buy separately. I am guessing I may make a trip to a bone yard to find a scrap petcock to scavenge the piece from. Maybe they will have mirrors there to.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

That would be fun! I want to find one to tool on. There is a 89 FZ600 for sale here I might try to pick up.
                    Jeff
                    77 XS750 2D completely stock
                    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

heck i kinda like it without the plastics! would make a fun street fighter project!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo75 View Post
                        heck i kinda like it without the plastics! would make a fun street fighter project!
                        I agree !
                        I know I can't sit on this style of bike for even a couple blocks, I've tried ?
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                        80 XS 1100 SG
                        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I am looking into how to maybe cut the fairings down to make it a little more street fighterish. I do not want to spend money on headlights and all of that as this is a flip project.

I am putting a few miles here and there on it. It will decidedly get up and go, runs up to 70-80 MPH before you realize it. It does almost turn by thinking about it, especially compared to an XS11. But for comfort and brute power, the XS11 has it hands down. I am certain if I put another couple hundred pounds on that 600 with my fatazz it would struggle to move near as quickly. And my hands hurt time I get off that Katana.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

So, this is a 600 Katana?
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Yes, Katana 600 courtesy of 1993 production.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X