New bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike

OK folks.... call me a nutter but I just arranged to buy a bike that does 0-60mph in about 8 seconds and has a top speed of 65mph and can carry a passenger too......... the all-electric Vectrix scooter!

I've read up about these bikes ever since they were first produced and, for some reason that I can't quite fathom, I've always fancied one. They have had a chequered history and can be notorious for unreliability, battery failure, corporate failure, motor controller failure etc but... some of them have done 30,000 miles no problem. Theone I've arranged to buy has done 18,000 and the seller says he uses it to commute to work through London.

So, I found one on eBay and decide to give it a go for local pottering about. Getting the XJR1300 out just to go to the post office seems daft really... only 2 miles away. And I don't like always running the bike and nver getting it to working temperature.

So...... I'm going to give the Vectrix a try. It's one of the original large ones and supposedly it can do 60 miles on a charge. More like 30, so I've heard but, that'll be enough for the short little local runs! Hopefully, it might last a year. I've genned up how to convert the bike to lithium batteries though (about $3,000 though) but, like I say, for some reason I find them fascinating. Weird.

I'll post pix and a video when I get it but, in the meantime, so you can all see how pathetic I have become whilst pining for an XS1100 to restore, here's a link..... I've arranged to buy a red one, just like in the promo video, and I'm taking lessons in playing rock lead guitar so that I can ride to my own theme tune, just like the cool dude burning off all those cars (staionary) and trucks (3mph). Can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEk2J85PXNg
    Last edited by James England; 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Ps

PS I love the way the video says "Battery life 10 years". The Vectrix company didn't last that, although it's apparently re-launched with a cheaper product.... they only cost $13,500 for the first model... what a bargain......
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Seems like a cool idea James...

Hope it works out.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

nothing pathetic about trying to let go of petroleum based fuels...and our reliance on them...wish i had an electric vehicle for my 60 miles/day commute Good luck with it...looks like its fun too...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You've wimped out James...the smell of gasoline on my hands after I'm done working on my bike gives me the most satisfaction
          Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

i,m with James on this one ! i can,t wait for the day a ballsy electric motorcycle is available,, we have been held prisoner to big oil to fffin long ,,,just my 2 cents ,,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Here you go!

Brammo Empulse: the electric motorcycle has finally arrived.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...mmo-empulse-r/

More info...
              http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...nally-arrived/

Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                Here you go!

More info...

Larry
                great post Yahman!! not into crotch rockets but was impressed with the bike ,,maybe in a few years [if i,m still able] ,,thank you for the post ,,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                  You've wimped out James
                  Mmm... well, if I feel too wimpy, I'll get the Yamaha XJR1300 out and go for a fossil-fuel burn!

The Vectrix would be fine for little local runs where the mileage won't even warm up the XJR properly and I do like the idea of a totally quiet, fast (65mph) bike that uses 30c of electricity to do 60 miles!

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                    Here you go!

More info...

Larry
                    I LIKE it!

Comment

Seen this one on Jay Leno's Garage...

ELECTRIC SUPERBIKE
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Oh how I wish I had LOADS of money! I'd love one of those too.....

Comment

I think its a cool idea but the problem is they are silent on the road
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
                            I think its a cool idea but the problem is they are silent on the road
                            Hardly a problem IMO. It just means one has toi take more care re pedestrians walking out in front of the bike. I do not adhere to that 'loud pipes save lives' idea. More like 'loud pipes make everyone's life a noisy misery' more like.

A quiet bike... bring it on!

Comment

I have a theory that loud bikes can actually cause just as many accidents as quiet bikes, in that people hear that loud crap and break their necks to turn and see where it's coming from and lose focus on the road, etc. I saw some idiot pedestrian turn around on the sidewalk the other day to hear a crotch rocket behind me, and he damn-near stepped into the street causing a car to swerve into the next lane to miss him. You want to avoid accidents: keep your eyes and ears open, slow down, ride aggressively, and pray for a safe trip.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X