My project GS1000 Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My project GS1000 Suzuki

My brother liked the job I did on my bikes so he is paying me to redo a 1979 Suzuki GS1000. Here are some pics thus far:

$900 on craigslist. Runs great- Rusty but sound ABC brand 4 into 2 exhaust.
    Bike was not a looker. Lots of spray can paint and neglect.

Leaving the engine in but swing arm, rear shocks and rear tire soon came off.

Sandblasted tank, emblem mount area (had been filled in). Refilled dings and prepared for the paint guy.

Most of the items back from the paint guy. Retired upholsterer recovered the seat for $35! (Rear seat cowl was not ready)

Looks kind of like a bike!

Aluminum wheel on back and chrome steel on front. This bike is a hodge podge of parts.

Exhaust was ceramic coated in satin black. Great deal for $150!

What is great about this project (in addition to its a great bike) is my brother has the money to buy new parts as needed where for my bikes I have to re use many cosmetic items I wish I could replace with new.

another one of my favourites. Great job, well done!
    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Thank you! I think it would be so cool if I could add to my XS1100 a GS1000 Suzuki and a KZ1000 Kawasaki. Have all the big dogs from the late 70s!

Comment

Very nice, the motor looks great too. Would you consider a set of clip ons and some rear sets?.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          - - - Aluminum wheel on back and chrome steel on front. This bike is a hodge podge of parts. - - - What is great about this project (in addition to its a great bike) is my brother has the money to buy new parts as needed - - -
          Hi Mike,
          a great upgrade if your brother is willing to finance it is to re-lace the front hub into an aluminum rim.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
            Very nice, the motor looks great too. Would you consider a set of clip ons and some rear sets?.

Doing this bike for my brother-actually he is paying me. He likes a stock/ stockish bike.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi Mike,
              a great upgrade if your brother is willing to finance it is to re-lace the front hub into an aluminum rim.
              Absolutely! I will suggest this to him.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                Thank you! I think it would be so cool if I could add to my XS1100 a GS1000 Suzuki and a KZ1000 Kawasaki. Have all the big dogs from the late 70s!
                I'd like a KZ1300 and/or a CBX... they were both out in 79... Since those dont come around too often, I would settle for the GS1100E with the 4 valve motor.

There just happens to be a KZ1300 for sale not too far from me. Only the dresser version was sold in US and this guy wants $4K.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Really nice job...looks great. Did you powder coat the motor?
                  Yamaha 80
                  Suzuki TM 400
                  Honda CB 400
                  Yamaha XS650 chopper
                  Honda 1800 VTX S
                  Suzuki C-50 Bobber (wifes)
                  HD Road King Classic
                  Yamaha XS 1100

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear1950 View Post
                    ...Did you powder coat the motor?
                    Not unless he took it completely apart...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear1950 View Post
                      Really nice job...looks great. Did you powder coat the motor?
                      No powder coat. I spent hours degreasing then cleaning then scuffing then laquer thinner cleaning again before I used the PJ1 engine and case spray can paint. In the future Id love to do a bike utilizing powder coating of the frame and engine.

Comment

The old GS1000's are a blast. Nice work on the resto. Little big for the cafe treatment, but hey....people drive Boss Hoss's too. Here's the '79 I had and got away (ok, traded for a classic car...still miss it)
                        81 H "Traumaha"
                        06 KLR 650
                        06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                        05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                        78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                        79 RD400 (Stolen)
                        78 KE175
                        Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Beautiful cafe' build. details on the paint? Aussie has a great Electric orange on his. I was intetested in the burnt metallic orange seen on GM vehicles, but it was too much money.
                          1979 XS1100F
                          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I'll deny it if asked in person...but the paintjob was about $40 all in, with clearcoat and primer. All out of a rattlecan I'm afraid, (or incredibly proud of). The primer was cheap polyester sandable light grey/gray (local store brand), the clear was generic as well. The secret is the colour coat....VHT (Very Hi Temp),engine spray paint in "copper", (this was the expensive part, $12 a can if I remember at any local auto parts store). There aren't a lot of colour choices stocked, mostly truck manufactuer blends ie: John Deere Green, Inter Yellow, Red, etc, but they do have a couple metallics that go on surprisingly well. Yellow, copper, burgandy, and a medium blue I believe. Didn't get a lot of runs, and where it did, it had settled and blended by the time it had dried. Multiple light coats (4) coverered awesome, and, because its made for engines, has a high resistancy to gasoline. The pics look good, but on a bright day it was amazing in person.
                            81 H "Traumaha"
                            06 KLR 650
                            06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                            05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                            78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                            79 RD400 (Stolen)
                            78 KE175
                            Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Looks great either way! There are a lot of good webpages detailing great rattle can tips and procedures. I learned that the key is the sanding procedure. I also used the 2K clearcoat. Worked great.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X