• I bought an xs850 for 150 bucks.

I bought another 1980 xs1100 for 150$. Im getting it tomorrow
    81 LH

Wait never mind its a 1980 xs850
    81 LH

Comment

Yum. A triple!

Comment

youll have fun with that triple, they are cool little bikes.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

That's an absolutely impossibly low price! I am so envious. I wish we could get bikes for that price here........
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Nice bike, my very fist ever bike was an XS750. You will find that there are alot of similarities between the XS850 and the XS1100. But there are differences also, besides one less cylinder.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

One thing to remember with the 850 is that the carbs are NOT the same as the 1100. They used Hitachi carbs on those, and parts are not as easy to find. Check out the triples forum for more help on those. The nice thing about the 850 is that its a lot easier to handle. Much lighter, but still has plenty of power for the highway. If you were my kid (my son is a year younger than you), I'd recommend the 850 over the 1100, especially as a starter bike.

The tach is mechanical, with a cable running from the right side of the valve cover to the tach. It tends to leak oil if you don't seal it correctly. All the other advice you've received about aquiring the 1100 will apply to the 850 though. Take it slow and be methodical about it. You can download the manual for the 850 from the link in my signature if you need it.
              Last edited by CatatonicBug; 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

The 850 I have in the shed came with Keihin carbs and they had lots of spring steel parts in them that rusted to crap. It's still in limbo, but trying to get the title from the guy. When I do, I'm going to buy a set of Mikuni carbs from a 750 to put on there.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Triple

I have a XS750SF & XS1100SF, both '79 models and I was amazed on how many similarities there are. The specials are far more similar to each other even in different models compared to the same model just in a different trim. So as long as they are the same trim level you should have a good parts bike for most things. I used the master cylinder from my XS1100 parts bike on the 750. I however paid far more than $150 for mine, but I still came out smelling like a rose for $650 for a bike that took a day to get running and was repainted professionally in the last three years. Luckily mine has the Mikunis.

I guess I went the other way. I gave my Dad the 750 after he sold his Victory Kingpin.
                  1979 XS1100 SF
                  1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                  1981 KZ650CSR
                  2006 VTX 1300C
                  1986 Radian 600

Comment

The XS400, XS650, XS750, XS850, & XS1100 all look pretty much the same. The fact is, more is different than the same. Tanks and seats all look the same, but none interchange. There are a lot of parts that are universal, like front fenders, front wheels, bars, hardware, etc. Just don't expect a XS650 to be a great parts bike for the XS11.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

The owner is moving next week and cant take it with him over the ocean to Germany. And was in a hurry to get it sold so i called him. Talked abit and made a deal. Im picking it up later today at five.
                      81 LH

Comment

I still dont know how to post pictures to how you guys my bikes.
                        81 LH

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7387
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Photobucket has made it even simpler than that description. Get a Photobucket account. upload pics to their site. Now if you hover on a pic, it brings up a list fo codes, the last one is the IMG code. Just click on it and it automatically loads it into your ram as copied. Now come to a post here, and just click Ctrl-V on a blank line and you will see the IMG code. Hit preview and you will see your pic.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                            X