1989 fzr1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 fzr1000

So I do the last thing on earth I said I'd ever do and trade something running and useful for something in boxes. My trade was a 1978 GS 1000 in running order with only 33,000 original kilometers that I acquired for a total of $900 and only put a battery in as cost other than fuel. What i traded for is a 1989 FZR 1000 that was disassembled 10 years ago cause the clutch and second gear went and the mechanic that was working on it lost interest and left it in his shop for all that time. I have it now and I am going to photo diary it's rebuild I hope it's well recieved.
    Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana.

1979 XS 1100 special (been down the PO trail and it was messy)

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
    So I do the last thing on earth I said I'd ever do and trade something running and useful for something in boxes. My trade was a 1978 GS 1000 in running order with only 33,000 original kilometers that I acquired for a total of $900 and only put a battery in as cost other than fuel. What i traded for is a 1989 FZR 1000 that was disassembled 10 years ago cause the clutch and second gear went and the mechanic that was working on it lost interest and left it in his shop for all that time. I have it now and I am going to photo diary it's rebuild I hope it's well recieved.
    Well to help you get it all back together and running you will likely need a forum like this one. Here is a link to a forum I use for my fazer. http://www.yamaha-forum.net
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

thanks for the link

Comment

At least you made a good choice and chose the FZR. If I was going to get a sport bike it would be the FZR 1000, 98 or newer. Make sure you post pictures for us.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Yes I will I just won't try till I know how so I don't make everyone argue over picture posting. Anyone know how funny it is to look in a box for the timing advance pieces look every where then finding out when you get the haynes manual that this engine has no vacuum advance it is all electronic based on a magnetic crank sensor. Felt pretty confused for a bit.

Comment

Yes I will I just won't try till I know how so I don't make everyone argue over picture posting. Anyone know how funny it is to look in a box for the timing advance pieces look every where then finding out when you get the haynes manual that this engine has no vacuum advance it is all electronic based on a magnetic crank sensor. Felt pretty confused for a bit.
            How's the progress goin? Let us know if you need help posting pictures.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

photo's

yup turns out i'm a complete retard as for picture posting and maybe a few other things. Cleaned the exhuast valves, dirty and built up so bad they were scaled to almost domed on the combustion side, and had the cylinders honed to accept the new rings and of course to get the new sleeve in cylinder #4 ready as well. I have pictures on my desktop ready to go if some one can send me that tutorial link that was made for guys like me once I get it I'll likely be able to keep it up but it's the getting it first.

Comment

bike

here it is

And these are the vavles

Last edited by Rooster; 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

It's alive

After not mentioning a thing about the bike for months I have this to report, instead of heading directly to work this morning I decided to try and start it after months of careful assembly and it actually caught and ran. Not bad I figure for assembling it out of boxes and using a haynes manual and FZRonline as a resource.

Comment

After not mentioning a thing about the bike for months I have this to report, instead of heading directly to work this morning I decided to try and start it after months of careful assembly and it actually caught and ran. Not bad I figure for assembling it out of boxes and using a haynes manual and FZRonline as a resource.
                    Awesome man, wait until you ride it I bet the 145 horses is a big difference over the XS. Get it on film. BTW, very nice looking bike.
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 06-25-2013, 06:59 PM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

I almost dropped by on Sunday just to see what all was happening out there. Rode right on by with the MNS as I was trying it out. Guess we both been busy at this stuff for a bit. You will have to run here in here so we can have a look see. Good on you man!
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I am looking at a 89 FZR600. I looks great just like yours. I can probably get the 600 for $700 and ride it home. It does have the side plastics missing though which would add least $500 to buy. It looks good without the big side ferring plastics though.
                        Last edited by jjz28; 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM. Reason: changed
                        Jeff
                        77 XS750 2D completely stock
                        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Yeah they can actually look ok "naked" but if you want any parts check out FZRonline or EXUP sites as there are still parts to be had and alot of tech tips like on this site.

Comment

Cool man, that's good to know.
                            Jeff
                            77 XS750 2D completely stock
                            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

By far the sexiest sport bike of the late 80s/early 90s!
                              BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                              80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Working...
                              X