Exhaust Installation Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Installation Tips

Hey all. As I posted in another thread, I took my exhaust system off and brought it to a metal worker to have them weld up some holes that were drilled into the backsides of the mufflers.

When I took it off, I noticed that there weren't any exhaust gaskets. So, I picked up a sack of ten of these from partsnmore, which arrived today.

After work I had a hell of a time attempting to put the exhaust back on the bike. Ultimately, I ran out of light and had to pack it in for another day.

In the meantime, I thought I'd turn to the forum for any tips and insights that might make my second attempt a little more smooth and painless.

I was having a particularly hard time getting the gaskets to stay put long enough to get the headers seated. The one time that I did, I got the collar nuts on (working on the right side of the exhaust first) and when I tried to bolt the muffler up, it wasn't lining up with the bracket enough to get the bolt threaded.
    Could that be a byproduct of using these gaskets? Should I use them or forget them? They seem like a good idea. Still, I'm interested in the forum's take on this.

Once I get the exhaust back on, I've got a luggage rack (that I needed to pound into submission with a rubber mallet and need longer bolts for) that I'm hoping to install. Then an oil change with filter, colortune for proper air/fuel mix, rebalance the carbs. When all is said and done with this round, I hope to have quieter and smoother machine. I've got all the parts and gear to get there. Now I just need a little help getting the jobs done right.

Thanks again for all your help and guidance throughout the years.

Ian
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Double check that the gaskets are actually gone...

Ive read where they can get somewhat embedded and folks double gasketed.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

+1 what JW stated..................obviously since you said the light was fading and wasn't good I'm bettin the old ones are still in there. Used and squished a bit they can look exactly like the head casting. Lol......double-dog dare ya to check again..........and report back your findings....
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Agreed! Bet they are still there and the double gasket is stopping you from getting.that bolt to line up. Take a pick and rip it out.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

the suspense is killing me

Boy, I can't wait to see if you guys are right. I love it when this group diagnoses problems from thousands of miles away for folks who otherwise know pretty darn well what they're doing.
          Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
          mods to come

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJon View Post
            Boy, I can't wait to see if you guys are right. I love it when this group diagnoses problems from thousands of miles away for folks who otherwise know pretty darn well what they're doing.
            Originally posted by buickyouth View Post

In the meantime, I thought I'd turn to the forum for any tips and insights that might make my second attempt a little more smooth and painless.

..... Still, I'm interested in the forum's take on this.
            JerseyJon - buickyouth asked for insight or tips so I proposed what I knew about exhaust that mysteriously won't fit. I am not guaranteeing my remote guesswork is even close to being right, just offering what I can. I too anxiously await the answer - its like Final Jeopardy....

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'll throw my $.02 in here... First, yes, make double sure that the old ones are not still in there. However, adding a second set on top should not prevent the headers from lining up. Mine are intentionally double-gasketed because a single set would not stop leaking. You should be able to tap them in there and make them stay without worrying about them falling out while you line up the headers.

Also, the exhaust has to be installed as a complete unit. In my experience, you can't install one side, then install the other. I usually sit on the ground with my butt next to the front wheel and my toes under the cross-over pipe to support it. You MUST lift the back end up for the headers to line up. It takes some wiggling, but once you find the right angle, it should just pop together.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

You guys were totally right. I got out my picks and started scraping around and once I found a lip, gave it a yank.

I was double gasketed after all.

Once I got the old ones out of the way, everything lined up great.
                I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
                //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Working...
                X