Buying new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying new tires

Since things are starting to come together and it looks like I'll actually be able to start riding the XS750SE I picked up last fall, I figured it'd be a good time to replace it's cracking dry rotted tires. Here's what I was looking for:
    Front: 3.25-19 or 100/90-19
    Rear: 4.0-18 or 120/90-18

I had some dunlops in the past that I liked a lot. And after reading some forums I settled on the D404s.

I called my local shop and asked them about getting tires shipped to them and getting them put on the wheels, balanced, etc. They were happy to take delivery and even offered me half rate for installation if I was able to bring in the wheels on their own.

Asked them if they had any preferred vendors and they steered me to parts-unlimited. The prices weren't horrible, but I thought I might be able to do better. Much to my surprise, I found the best deal on Amazon (vendor: motorcycle superstore). Exactly what I was looking for, no taxes, free shipping. I ran the numbers to see how much I was saving, $125. I never would have thought Amazon for tires, but I'm glad I took that shot in the dark so I can have an excuse to put that money elsewhere into the bike.
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Lots and lots of tire threads to read, but the D404 is the 2nd worst tire I've ever had. It's not bad as far as performance, and if you hardly ride, it will work for you, but a rear won't last 3k miles on the 1100, but it's going to be a heavier bike than that 750 and wear them faster.

A tire I've found to not be bad was the Shinko 712. At Motorcycle Superstore, you can get a set.. front and back for under $100, and they last about twice as long on the rear as the D404.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You can go directly to MC Superstore's website instead of using Amazon. They offer a price match guarantee on everything too.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Which tire is best or gives the most service is primarily a matter of who the user is and teir opinions or riding style. You will fidn just as many post saying good as you will bad about almost any major brand.

One word of caution though on purchasing tires online, not that I never have, but you are making a sacrifice for the savings. If there ends up being a problem with the tire, you will have a battle on your hands to get any resolution to the problem. Let the finger pointing begin, from poor installation, to must be a mechanical problem with your bike, to you over or under inflated the tire, or pehaps even "it was not intended for the gravel roads you took it on, that ruined the tire."

I had a problem with a cage tire I bought from "Tire Rack" once, they told me if I paid for shipping it back to them and for shipping me a new tire I had to buy, they would then pro-rate the bad tire if they determined it was in fact a manufacturing defect. Recently am having an issue with a tire I bought from Dennis Kirk. They insist it is an issue with my wheel bearings or something mechnaical on the bike. Can't be their tire.

So, my recomendation is to buy form a local shop, I have a local shop do the mounting and balancing anyway.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
        X