Touring Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring Bike

SWMBO has given me the OK to get a touring bike!! And you know I must not let her down!! She doesn't like riding on my 79SF for to long, and wants something more comfy for long rides.

I am looking for input from this group as I know some of you have other bikes. I like the look of the Kawasaki Voyager, any experience there? I think the GoldWing is to much, (size, looks, price) sport tourers are not me.

I haven't paid much notice to bikes for the past 10-15 years, so not sure what is out there in this class. All information and opinions (good or bad) will help.

Thanks all
    Gary
    79sf
    78e

What's the budget, Gary?

Kawi Concours?

Used KLT?

A full dress XS with an expensive custom seat?

Looking for other features besides pillion comfort?
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

No budget at this time!! SWMBO wants something newer that doesn't need to be repaired to start with. She just bought a Chrysler 300M Special for herself last week, and ask if I could wait till next year to get a new truck. I told her no problem!!
      Gary
      79sf
      78e

Comment

If swmbo bought a new 300M, then maybe you should go test
        ride a new BMW K1200LTC.

I had one for too short a time before it was totalled by a rearender

It's a really big heavy bike, but it can carve twisties like crazy,
        has heated seats & grips, 6cd changer, elec windshield, ... and reverse gear~!

new ones are like $20K if you want to go new, but there
        should be used ones in great shape available.

Phill Ward and Chuck Wildman (members here) are 'wild'
        about their KLT's, and I sure loved mine. snif snif

here's mine at one week old on Mt. Rainier. RIP at 3 weeks of age

I know a woman KLT owner about 5'8" that has tons of miles
        on hers, and she can leave quite a few other bikes in the dust,
        that lady can ride!

btw, I have a 2000 LHS in steel blue, love it!

keep us up to date!

Comment

First you need to decide if you want a full-touring only model OR a sport touring model. I was sure I wanted a touring bike a few years ago and got and restored an 83 Yamaha Venture Royale, kept it for 2 years and decided it was to big and heavy, and started looking for a sport-touring bike....

Here is the new Honda ST1300, full resdesigned....

Yamaha has the new FJR1300 out this year in the US.....

Here is the bike I got: Triumph Trophy

Other bikes in this class......Kawasaki Concours (too cheap and small, did not fit me) and BMW RT1150 (I rode one...NOT worth the money, IMHO)

If you want a regular touring bike...........all Honda Dealers are offering rides on the new 1800 Goldwings right now, try one! It can't hurt. My brother bought a new 2001 and likes it a lot.......

Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Not interested in any of those? Hmmmm......we can find more!
            Gary Granger

Comment

Well here is my $0.02 worth.
              I have dreamed, drooled, driven and dotted over just about every touring bike out there.

If money was of little concern, then the 'GoldWang' would be my choice, expecialy if it was for 2 up riding/touring. Nothing out there comes close the the performance and comfort in this big bagger.

Next, if you prefer the Touring/Crusier, then Yamaha's Venture would be my next choice. It's a beautiful bike IMHO. And It has gotten rave reviews from the Bike magz.

Then there is the Hardley. It is a beautiful bike but performance sucks and of course its a VTWIN (YUCK). I know those who ride the big harleys and love them though. Just remeber ANYTHING for this bike is marked up 400%. (This is because it will have a nice package, nice khrome, and a kool bar and shield engraved in it.) They claim this bike will make you proud to be a Manly American? (Whatever!)

There is also the Kawasaki Voyager XII. This bike is definetly underrated. It has an older looking design (Same design today as in its first year 1986). But I have read some great things about this bike. Especialy the performance. It has a nice wt cooled straight 4 and all the bells and whistles of the more expensive bikes. It is very nimble and can carry 2up very comfortably. This bike is also going to be the least expensive. You can find a 2001-02 for under $11,000 brand new.
              I have often thought seriously about getting this bike myself. Just cant bring myselft to make a Motorcycle payment. Doh!!!

Lastly, if you can find one, the Honda Valk Interstate is a GREAT bike. It is a cryin shame that Honda stopped production on this bike. Here in SE Texas you can sometimes find them for about $10,000.

Anyway, there it is.
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Thanks for your input!! Really giving me some ideas I hadn't thought about. I'm not sure I want something as big and heavy as the Gold Wing, or that I want to go the sport route. My 79 SF will probably give me all the speed I want. I like the looks of the Kawa Voyager even though it is an old desigin. (Maybe i'm telling my age?) The BMW looks great. But not sure I will need heated seats and grips in sunny California!! Thanks again guys. Keep the ideas coming.
                Gary
                79sf
                78e

Comment

Keep the ideas coming.
                  Gary, it's big and heavy, or it is sport.
                  You decides, you pays your money, you makes your choice.

In between those two is maybe, dress the XS,
                  that's the cheapest, that's what I did w/ my XJ
                  (click HERE to see how mine came out.)

That about covers the spectrum, eh?

Since you still aren't sure between Wing-type/Sport-type, and if
                  you don't like the idea of dressing the XS, then I think any other
                  ideas will probably have to be yours. (please, no offense meant)

Okay, one more idea: go test ride a lot of them !

Comment

Here is the bike I got: Triumph Trophy

What an awesome bike... definately on my wish list. Sat on one at a bike show last Winter. I hear they're getting ready to introduce a shaftie for this bike... have you heard this? What are your overall impressions? How many miles do you have on it?
                    Dave Hogue
                    1978 XS1100E "Sticky Fingers" (down, but not out)
                    1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C "Phacops" (the everyday ride)
                    1982 Honda CB750 Custom (the toy)
                    Kennesaw, GA
                    home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-dwhogue
                    updated November 22, 2001

Comment

Dave,

I have 13,500 miles on mine, I got it last July so it is just a year old. The rumors of a shaft have been around for years, BUT what I heard was they were devoping a new 1300cc 4 for the Daytona, FI, etc. and that that motor would also be detuned (less hp and more torque) for a 1300 Trophy FI, shaft drive. Would be a minimum of 2 years I would think. Chain is not that big of a hassel, spray on some lube once every 300-500 miles (unless touring then once a day when you stop, adjustments are easy rear axel is in an eccentric and all you do is loosen the pinch bolts then spin eccentric.......I have only had to adjust the chain maybe 5 times (other than the new rear tire at 8K)

I would look at the FJR1300 if I was going to buy again, but it was not avail last year.
                      Gary Granger

Comment

BMW K1200LTC is a great bike. I put a wig on and jumped on the back of my homie's a few times. But for the price I like the idea of the used Honda valk interstate. Or you can't go wrong with the Voyager. A good buy for the money. You have my vote for these three bikes. They all have different styles. The valk interstate is my top choice due to it's style but it's not my money. Good Luck.

Comment

How bout a BMW R1200 CL?

More pics at http://www.motosvet.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2202

LP
                          Last edited by strom; 08-29-2002, 05:28 AM.
                          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

WOW Strom that is one cool Beemer (although its a bit bugeyed). Any Idea when its coming to america?
                            [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                            [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                            The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Gary Granger

Comment

Working...
                              X