Yamaha ID help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha ID help please...

So my husbands brother shows up with a motorcycle.... He says it is a '82 XS850.... But.......

* Data Plate on the yoke does not identify the CC's of this bike at all, it is more of a specs plate with tire size/wheel size/oil capacity and stuff.

* The Data plate on the yoke says manufacture date was 10/79 - wouldn't that make it an 80 model?

* The bike has a tiny little radiator like thing on it.... much smaller than what is seen on current water cooled bikes, so maybe it is not a radiator. IDK

* 3 cylinder with a 3 to 1 muffler system - not sure if that is stock or something a po did to it.

So I am wondering how to identify this bike's year and model to try to help him find parts.... lots and lots of parts...... or maybe another bike for parts.

Any ideas guys?
    1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
    1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

750 or 850 for sure

If its 3 cyl then has to be one or the other. If it was sold as an 850 it likely is.

Small "radiator" is an oil cooler. Engine is still an air cooled affair.

Data plate lists date of manufacture, but that late in year you are correct it is likely an 1980 model. Looking up VIN will tell you for sure.

Might be titled as an 82. It could have sat new in a dealer showroom for two years then titled as 82. Happened all the time. Once its on title, hard to change it.

Others will pipe up with fancy ways to look at the widget thru a backwards mirror, but just look up the VIN.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The little radiator thing is most likley an oil cooler. The XS850 would be a 3 cylender. The vin number Should be on the engine and on the steering column.
      These guys might be able to help more.

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/

Edit:John types faster than me.
      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Yep, the only ones I know of that were three cylinders were the XS750/850. It was a 750 through the 79 model year and wen tup to 850 starting with 80 models.

That Triples site is pretty handy. My very fist motorcycle was an XS750.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I don't think the XS750 came with an oil cooler. The XS850 did have one though. That's on the UK models....
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yeah, Same here James. Oil cooled = 850 in this part of the world; but, in saying that, I had an oil cooler on my last 750. Got it off an 850 wreck.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thanks guys!

We (my husband) has a 77 XS750 Special so we are familiar with the 3 cylinder engine. We were confused about the 3 to 1 conversion of the exhaust though, if that was stock after 79 or if the po did that. Ours has 2 cylinders to one pipe on the left as you are facing the bike and 1 cylinder to the right side.

I can guess that it is an 850, but just confused me with the declared year and what I now know is an oil cooler. Funny had heard of those but don't have one any of our bikes.
              Thanks for the help.... he will appreciate it and the link to the triples site!
              Last edited by zookey; 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I have a 77 xs750 2d, i didnt even know they made a special that year. Learn something every day around here.
                Jeff
                77 XS750 2D completely stock
                79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by zookey View Post
                  - - - We were confused about the 3 to 1 conversion of the exhaust though, if that was stock after 79 or if the po did that. Ours has 2 cylinders to one pipe on the left as you are facing the bike and 1 cylinder to the right side. - - -
                  Hi Zookey,
                  the 3 into 1 is an aftermarket system. Stock is 3 into 2.
                  Effin' factory stylists sacrificing sense to symmetry.
                  Be happy!
                  The witless wonders at Suzuki made the GT750 system a 3 into 4!
                  Musta added 20 lbs to the bike's weight.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                    I have a 77 xs750 2d, i didnt even know they made a special that year. Learn something every day around here.

I think our 77 XS750 is a special..... Haven't had it out in a while, will have to check it out better when we get it out for the summer/

Comment

Originally posted by zookey View Post
                      I think our 77 XS750 is a special..... Haven't had it out in a while, will have to check it out better when we get it out for the summer/
                      i looked on the xs750 wiki and they said that 78 was the first year for the special but maybe that was late 77 too. Does you tank have the contours for the knees?
                      Jeff
                      77 XS750 2D completely stock
                      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Working...
                      X