V-Star's First Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Star's First Mod

I'm gonna buy a Jardine oil filter relocation kit for the V-Star before its due for its next oil change. the PO was showing me all that has to be removed to get to the filter... sounds like drama! Anyone have any experience with these kits? Seem Jardine is the brand most prevalent on the wide wide world of web...
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

We haven't heard from you...you must be out riding. That's a good thing! Hope you're liking the new bike!
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

It's not time for oil change yet. PO was finishing up the change when I came to look @ the bike. Got a few miles before its time for this mod. I will let you know how it goes. still researching other brands.

And yes I've been out riding its been nice to get out
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

My father in law just bought a v-star. Maybe he would like one of those things.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm thinking it will be worth the money. Looks like a PITA to get to the stock filter.
          Don

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

No pain no gain! Suffer for the bike!
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
              No pain no gain! Suffer for the bike!
              When I take the front pipe, brake pedal, running board, and engine side case off I'm only taking them off once. After remote filter kit I can just spin off the filter. And not have to dismantle half the right side of the bike again.
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hi dragon.

It is a lot of work to change oil & filter on the V Star 1100's. The filter relocating kit is the way to go.
                Jardine is the most expensive. Baron makes a good one for a lot less money. Both use the K&N filter which can be bought in chrome to make it look neater.
                On the other models, although you don't need to take half the bike apart, people buy it to avoid the hassle of factory filters. More or less like our SOFA.
                It works great on all V Star models.
                Good luck.
                79 XS1100F.
                SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                TC's fuse box.
                SOFA filter.
                Venture cam chain adjuster.
                Tkat fork brace.
                Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
                  It is a lot of work to change oil & filter on the V Star 1100's. The filter relocating kit is the way to go.
                  Jardine is the most expensive. Baron makes a good one for a lot less money. Both use the K&N filter which can be bought in chrome to make it look neater.
                  On the other models, although you don't need to take half the bike apart, people buy it to avoid the hassle of factory filters. More or less like our SOFA.
                  It works great on all V Star models.
                  Good luck.
                  I'll give the Baron a look when the time comes to do it... thanks for the info
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                  X