1982 Honda V45 Sabre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Honda V45 Sabre

I'm talking to a guy about his 82 Sabre with 9000 miles on it. He says it may have fuel problems because "Its always been hard to start since I've had it (had to jump start and squirt ether into carb). Runs good for short distances, but when it reaches operating temperature, starts to choke."

I would appreciate any comments about the Sabre itself and what the problem may be.
    80 XS11 SG
    79 XS750 SF
    74 KZ400
    78 KZ650
    78 KZ750

I recall they had lubrication issues on the top end. There is a kit to fix it. GOOGLE it to make sure I'm not misremembering.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

start with a thorough carb cleaning, then be sure to check the slide diaphragms. I've seen those go bad several times on the V45 and V65 engines. I'm guessing it has old plug wire caps that need disassembly, cleaning and servicing, as well as carb service, plugs and possibly a fuel pump issue.

Comment

Yeah, the early v45's have a top end oiling issue. Not necessarily a death sentence but something to watch out about.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I had one of those back in 1984. Good torque and top end power. It handled well too.
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Working...
          X