No announcement yet.

Another Bike just got offered to me for the R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had old man over 100 once.... He didn't like it. Too much wind force on the old vetter. Now a sport bike is a different ball game. You can cruise down the freeway on my R1 @ 85 and not know it. When i first got my r1 I took it out onto my favorite proving grounds out here. Came around the last corner to the 4 mile straight in 3rd @ 40 mph. Once we were straight I just pinned it. Shift light came on @ 11,500 and i banged 4th it came on again and i banged 5th. At this point my balls had gone to my throut and my eyes started bugging out. Tunnel vision was setting in. I lifted as soon as I hit 5th @ 132 mph. Still a gear to go.

Then i went home and told the wife about it no wonder she keeps upping my life insurance
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I have an "08" FZ1 and I've traded it once for a twin (a "10" Triumph Speedmaster) that only produced about 60 H.P., they are 865CC. Although it would scoot OK, it was pretty much topped out at 100. I had the Triumph for 11 months, went back to the dealer who still had my FZ1, did a reverse trade even up and never looked at another bike. The 140+ horses the FZ1 makes just seems to make the lesser powered bikes pretty bland. Even the XS1100 seems like it has a heart condition that keeps it from running "with the big dogs". I've had plenty of different bands and models of bike, including some big cruisers like the Suzuki M109R and many sport bikes, including a Suzuki V-Strom and although it was only a 650, I think that little bugger will outrun an XS1100 in stock form. I clocked it at 126 with my Garmin and I'm almost certain my XS won't hit that.
      Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Ya I'm kinda stuck in a whirl of what I should do and what I want to do. I'm gonna take a look @ this star and maybe stop and check out that bmw. I just know the more I ride the xs the less I ride my r1. I like sitting up on a comfy seat. My back can't handle much leaning over the tank anymore.
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Doesn't look like that BMW will get you much more upright than your r1!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Doesn't look like that BMW will get you much more upright than your r1!
            Or get me doubled up to make SWMBO happy. Lol
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
              Or get me doubled up to make SWMBO happy. Lol
              Well you could get a second person one there, she just might not enjoy it

Happy wife, happy life!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Well you could get a second person one there, she just might not enjoy it

Happy wife, happy life!
                Every sport bike I've owned first thing that happens is the rear pegs disappear. I take up most the bike as its is. I don't need any more help
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                  Every sport bike I've owned first thing that happens is the rear pegs disappear. I take up most the bike as its is. I don't need any more help
                  You mock me with your ability to sit flatfooted on the XS1100 :P
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                    You mock me with your ability to sit flatfooted on the XS1100 :P
                    lol... long legs is not all its cracked up to be buddy. Sometime I get bound up on the bike
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Just for my curiosity only, but Why the hell are you selling an R1 ?
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Don,

Have you considered sport touring? Maybe something along the lines of a Kawasaki Concours or a FJR? Your wife can ride in comfort, you sit upright, and you still have a quick and nimble motorcycle.

The V-twin cruiser is going to put you in a completely different world.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          Just for my curiosity only, but Why the hell are you selling an R1 ?
                          I'm looking to get my chest off the tank. 1 my riding needs have changed and I want something for more distance. I love riding my XS but would like to keep the F around miles off it. The XS needs to be reserved for sight seeing trips, not commuting to work... 2 my lower back is shot. @ 33 I've already lost and inch of over all height to spinal compression. I can't get more than 20 miles @ a time on the R1 without stuff locking up. Its time to find another secondary ride.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                          Don,

Have you considered sport touring? Maybe something along the lines of a Kawasaki Concours or a FJR? Your wife can ride in comfort, you sit upright, and you still have a quick and nimble motorcycle.

The V-twin cruiser is going to put you in a completely different world.
                          Yes I'm really looking for a Conny or FJR.... no one wants to trade their sport touring bike for an R1 it seems. And the ones that do have piles of crap! If I could get someone to pay me what I want for my R1 that is what I would go buy. The only reason I'm considering that BMW is the fact its worth a good chuck and I can turn a profit on it..... maybe

as for the V-twin. I've always wanted to own a metric V-twin. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my R1 for one but I guess we'll find out. My wife has been begging me to get a metric cruiser for years.... We'll see what happens
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Pity you guys cant get the XJR. Closest thing i've found to an XS.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                              Pity you guys cant get the XJR. Closest thing i've found to an XS.
                              Ya thanks... I know I had to look it up in Yammie's catalog after the last time it was mentioned on here... I talked to the dealer, They can get me one.... IF... I really want one (wink wink) I'm sure it would cost a bloody fortune to get one here. As I'm not made of money I had to stop there
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X