Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on 2004 Kawasaki ZG1000 concours

Hey fellas,

as some of you know I've been shopping sport touring bikes. I think its time to give up the crotch rockets and get onto something a little more comfy that still carves pretty good.

I've had a 2004 Kawi Concours placed in front of me. 18k miles. dealer maintained, cherry 1 owner type bike. after market quick removable luggage.... etc.

What do we know about these bikes? Only think I know is it looks like a bloated version of my old Kawi zx-6e mid weight I use to thrash the hell out of.

input greatly appreciated
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

The sport touring class they are good scoots, but in my sig. you can see my preference being otherwise. Always called the Conny 'a poor mans ST'. Not true with the newer Conny14.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

thanks Moto....
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
        thanks Moto....
        Hi Don...dunno much abt the Concours model you are referring to...I do know its an excellent platform for touring just not sure how much sport is in the equation...Like Brant says though the current Concours is much more of everything...Coming back to the Honda's they are well balanced and do everything well but do not stand out in any one particular category..like best sporty handling or best in class HP...The Honda's are generalists...that being said they are a most excellent ride be it an ST1100 or the newer iteration ST1300...you should seriously check them out.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I really want a Yamaha FJR 1300. but for one down in low miles people want a good chuck of change for it. The Guy with the Concours wants my R1 and wants to give me cash on top of it. He is already speaking my language
          Don

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I really want a Yamaha FJR 1300. but for one down in low miles people want a good chuck of change for it. The Guy with the Concours wants my R1 and wants to give me cash on top of it. He is already speaking my language
            In that case, I'd be all over that Conny. Way more varieties of riding styles to enjoy on that over the R1, plus all the riding farkles to make it fit YOU!......bar risers, road pegs,Russell Day Long seat, to name a few...
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

guy sent me pictures of 1 side of the Conny only. I found out why after I made him email me pictures of the left side... "his Buddy" dropped it in the parking lot. the mirror is on order, he replaced the side bag already. But my ANAL self would want to replace the whole left cowl piece. I told him I might be willing to make a deal but it would take more cash on his part. He has now quit texting me

Oh well. I'm not in a hurry
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I run an '06 Connie. Bought it in '09. Good bike, but be prepared to customize it for personal comfort. I did a lot of research prior to buying so knew what I was getting into.

Most common upgrades are:
                handlebar risers
                higher windshield
                foot peg lowering kit
                highway pegs

The Connie carries 7.5 gallons of gas up high, so is on the top-heavy side. Steering angle is different, "quicker" than my XJ.

The Connie is about as close to an upgraded XS/XJ as you get. In-line 4 cylinder, 4 carbs, shaft drive, 6-speed, twin odometers, clock. Oil cooler is standard, engine is liquid cooled. Tends to vibrate more than the XJ but has an adjustable harmonic balancer. Stock seat is OK but not great. I replaced mine with a Russell Day-Long last year and that made a world of difference. Other adds, in addition to the ones listed above, include SS brake lines, Givi luggage rack, throttle lock, and a trailer hitch.

Only real change to the bike over its production run was a change to the instrument panel, larger forks, and a few minor changes in '03 or so. Lots of after-market parts and pieces, though the new Connie came out in '07 so new products for the older bikes has slowed down.

Its a good bike. Plan on doing the upgrades so take those costs into consideration. It rides well, handles well, good fuel economy, parts/pieces/accessories available, generally lower price than an ST or comparable bike. Comes full-fairing and with lockable/removable saddlebags, so you need to comfortable with a touring package.

Send a PM if you have any more questions.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                  I run an '06 Connie. Bought it in '09. Good bike, but be prepared to customize it for personal comfort. I did a lot of research prior to buying so knew what I was getting into.

Most common upgrades are:
                  handlebar risers
                  higher windshield
                  foot peg lowering kit
                  highway pegs

The Connie carries 7.5 gallons of gas up high, so is on the top-heavy side. Steering angle is different, "quicker" than my XJ.

The Connie is about as close to an upgraded XS/XJ as you get. In-line 4 cylinder, 4 carbs, shaft drive, 6-speed, twin odometers, clock. Oil cooler is standard, engine is liquid cooled. Tends to vibrate more than the XJ but has an adjustable harmonic balancer. Stock seat is OK but not great. I replaced mine with a Russell Day-Long last year and that made a world of difference. Other adds, in addition to the ones listed above, include SS brake lines, Givi luggage rack, throttle lock, and a trailer hitch.

Only real change to the bike over its production run was a change to the instrument panel, larger forks, and a few minor changes in '03 or so. Lots of after-market parts and pieces, though the new Connie came out in '07 so new products for the older bikes has slowed down.

Its a good bike. Plan on doing the upgrades so take those costs into consideration. It rides well, handles well, good fuel economy, parts/pieces/accessories available, generally lower price than an ST or comparable bike. Comes full-fairing and with lockable/removable saddlebags, so you need to comfortable with a touring package.

Send a PM if you have any more questions.
                  Well the deal got killed yesterday when he finally sent me a picture of the damage his "buddy" did. I told him he better come up with more cash than what he offered to go with his bike for my R1. He got pretty pissy with me on the phone.

I'm pretty Anal, and couldn't see removing a bike from my stable that is damn near flawless for a bike I would have to put a mirror and left cowl on. Apparently my counter offer was unreasonable I told him I worry about how well maintained the bike is if he lets his "buddy" drop it in a parking lot and his "buddy" and him couldn't come up with a replacement mirror and left cowl in the last 8 months. Or at least a plan to make it right before trying to sell it.

He went into a rant about how its not that noticeable (except the mirror) and when I stopped him mid sentence and said "pal I can see the crack and missing piece in the cowl in your Shi^^y cell phone picture!" He promptly told me to "go F myself" and hung up.
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

...He went into a rant about how its not that noticeable (except the mirror) and when I stopped him mid sentence and said "pal I can see the crack and missing piece in the cowl in your Shi^^y cell phone picture!" He promptly told me to "go F myself" and hung up.
                    Just another moron who thought he could put something over on somebody else.... you see them all the time.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      Just another moron who thought he could put something over on somebody else.... you see them all the time.
                      He contacted me about my bike offering his and cash. Then acted like he was doing me a favor and he would be taking it in the shorts. I'm not giving up my $4500 to $5000 R1 for his $2500 broken conny and $500 cash. I'll ride my bike into the river before I'll give it away. Good old craigslist....

I just had a guy text me trying to low ball me cash wise. He used my favorite line... 100 dollar bills. Told him I don't give a shet if its in 1's ya best go find a grand more of them!
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I've never liked 'trade' deals because that always seems to attract guys who are trying to get rid of something not really worth what it should be, i.e. 'all it needs is....' type things. Hey, if it's worth that much sell it and bring the cash, then we'll talk...
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Exactly!!!!
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I've never liked 'trade' deals because that always seems to attract guys who are trying to get rid of something not really worth what it should be, i.e. 'all it needs is....' type things. Hey, if it's worth that much sell it and bring the cash, then we'll talk...
                            Doing trades is a problem waiting to happen. Selling outright means negotiating on the price of 1 item, on a trade you are negotiating on 2. No thanks
                            1970? Honda Z50... gone
                            1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                            1974 Honda CB200... gone
                            1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                            1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                            2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                            1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
                              Doing trades is a problem waiting to happen. Selling outright means negotiating on the price of 1 item, on a trade you are negotiating on 2. No thanks
                              Apparently you 2 are trading in the wrong pool... I've horse swapped lots of things and always end up on the better end....

You do know you can say NO to any offer right?!

anyways.... I made out pretty good offing the R1. and gained another riding buddy. That guy follows us everywhere on that bike.
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X