• Time
  • Show
Clear All

History repeats itself

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    Hi Fred...that is rather humorous
    Hi Max,
    and it's absolutely true.
    Building on that story, a mutual friend located a derelict '75 XS650 at a local scrapyard and over winter my son converted it to a pile of parts in his garage.
    All the parts are there but the rear frame is FUBAR.
    Eric sez as the rear frame ain't fixable with his skills and budget he's gonna have one of those hardtail kits welded in and build himself a chopper.
    My own son! Karma's a bitch.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm with Jerry on this one.

Watched a guy here take a real clean Venture and chopped and hacked and when he was done he had a bike worth about a third of what it could have sold'. Don't know if it ever sold. I can understand hacking some crapper that is shot.

There only so many of these bikes and I don't think anyone is going to find a freighter sitting somewhere full of XS's and XJ's.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
        There only so many of these bikes and I don't think anyone is going to find a freighter sitting somewhere full of XS's and XJ's.
        Not the way these PROGRESSIVE bike builders think.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Update

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          a mutual friend located a derelict '75 XS650 at a local scrapyard and over winter my son converted it to a pile of parts in his garage.
          All the parts are there but the rear frame is FUBAR.
          Eric sez as the rear frame ain't fixable with his skills and budget he's gonna have one of those hardtail kits welded in and build himself a chopper.
          My own son! Karma's a bitch.
          I was just over to Eric's place and checked out the allegedly FUBAR XS650 frame.
          Nothing wrong with it that an Oxy-Acetylene torch and a car jack won't fix.
          At least, fixed good enough to haul a sidecar with because a rig ain't all that fussy about how well the bike's wheels line up.
          So he can fix the derelict and if a road test shows it handles all squirrelly he can take the sidecar off his other XS650, install it on the rebuild and run t'other one solo instead.
          It occurred to me during our discussion on hardtails (He likes the way they look) that he has never actually ridden one.
          I should borrow my friend's WW2 rigid frame 16H Norton and send Eric on a 100 mile ride on it.
          See how well he likes hardtails after that.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

another update

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            I was just over to Eric's place and checked out the allegedly FUBAR XS650 frame.
            Nothing wrong with it that an Oxy-Acetylene torch and a car jack won't fix.
            Well we got the whole bent area cherry red and took a jack to it.
            Nothin' moved.
            Mebbe THREE oxy-acetylene torches might have got everything that's bent hot enough to be straightened but just ONE ain't gonna do it.
            So it's back to plan one, saw off the back end and weld on a hardtail.
            Karma's still a bitch.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X