No announcement yet.

Save this bike!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springer front end, big bore kit for the motor, although that is mostly due to the cringe worthy amount of metal shavings that I found on the oil filter when I pulled it...hopefully I can salvage the engine.
    I will probably slice and dice to add a bit of rack, and my original plan was for a hard tail, but I saw a really great looking mono shock set up I may try to replicate. I have it tore down to the frame right now, but I am not putting it under the knife till I have settled on a final design for it.
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

and I thought !!!

and I thought I was the only 1 ,, I sat last night and watched a ebay auction to the end ,, It was a 1977 xs750 triple , was running a month ago , now running on 2 cylinders and the guy doesn't want to take the time or money to fix it !!!,, He said it was ignition related , and had a clear title , starting bid ,,,180.00 ,,, not till the last 10 minutes did someone bid on this , only 1 bid , if I had a way to go get this bike (16 hour round trip) I would of blasted that 180 right out of the water !!! , If you want to chop it up I geuss that's ok as long as you finish what you started with style ,, I don't know if I feel worse about the guy only getting 180 for it , or the simple fact that he listed it for the 180 ? ,, I wish I would have been able to get it !!!
      79XS1100 for sale;
      79XS1100 THE BIG AND UGLY;
      78 XS750 TRIPLE Project;
      78 XS650 XS6 Drivable Project;
      82 XJ750 Inline 4 Project;
      02 Suzuki LT-F250 4 Wheeler;
      88 Harley xl1200 sporty;
      83 Virago XV5 My Daughter's;

Comment

I paid $600 for my 77 xs7502d and am thinking of maybe selling it. But, I wouldn't take a penny less that $1000 for it and then I would probably wind up keeping it. $180, if I had seen it, I would have drove quite a ways to get it. I really like the triples, they handle really well, I think they do anyway. A lot lighter and more flickable than the 1100.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Wow, once I sell the GSX600, I would love to get a 77-78 XS750 Standard for me next bike. My first bike ever was an XS750 and I was to young and dumb to work on it. I need redemption for taking it to the bike scrappers and getting a clutch cover for my Honda CB750 for it.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Problem with choppers is that most don't get finished or are poorly done. I have seen a couple nicely done rigs, Rue's bobbed XS is fully street-ready and is a good example. Not my style, most look uncomfortable to ride any distance, but, as someone once said, "There is nothing sacred about metal." I prefer to improve stock units (wiring, seats, carburation, etc) and would not go the bobber route, but they do tend to become a source of parts...

I wonder how many half-finished bobbers are sitting in garages or sheds around the country?
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Me Too

I'm with you Jerry. It is much more rewarding to me to restore one back as close as possible to stock. Maybe upgrade a few things, but mostly stock. I am pretty sure that it is much easier to take off all the stock parts and call it a chopper, bobber, or whatever. JMHO

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                This beautiful running XS650 Special is in danger of being bastardizied into a hardtail chopper. - - -
                Hi Greg,
                too late to save that one, eh?
                Guy showed up at one of our CVMG garage tours, showing photos of his XS650 hardtail. We had this conversation:-

"Why did you do that, you effing Vandal?"

" I bought it after it's back end had been crushed when a truck drove over it.
                I didn't have the money to get the frame straightened and buy a replacement swingarm, shocks, wheel, etc. What I did have was a pile of steel tube, a welding machine and a back wheel off a Harley."

"What a nice bike."
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  Wow, once I sell the GSX600, I would love to get a 77-78 XS750 Standard for me next bike. My first bike ever was an XS750 and I was to young and dumb to work on it. I need redemption for taking it to the bike scrappers and getting a clutch cover for my Honda CB750 for it.
                  Hey done, your close enough. What do you think about a trade? It just has a rattle can orange paint job now but is a nice bike with 16,364 miles on it. I am looking for something sporty for my second bike. PM me if interested.
                  Jeff
                  77 XS750 2D completely stock
                  79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Greg,
                    too late to save that one, eh?
                    Guy showed up at one of our CVMG garage tours, showing photos of his XS650 hardtail. We had this conversation:-

"Why did you do that, you effing Vandal?"

" I bought it after it's back end had been crushed when a truck drove over it.
                    I didn't have the money to get the frame straightened and buy a replacement swingarm, shocks, wheel, etc. What I did have was a pile of steel tube, a welding machine and a back wheel off a Harley."

"What a nice bike."
                    Hi Fred...that is rather humorous
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I love my XS650. But its a small bike. When one is chopped bopped boobed floobed rat bike Brat bike bratwurst or whatever they become even smaller! A hardtail lowers the seat height so much that a even short guy looks to way to tall on one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruceifer View Post
                        and I thought I was the only 1 ,, I sat last night and watched a ebay auction to the end ,, It was a 1977 xs750 triple , was running a month ago , now running on 2 cylinders and the guy doesn't want to take the time or money to fix it !!!,, He said it was ignition related , and had a clear title , starting bid ,,,180.00 ,,, not till the last 10 minutes did someone bid on this , only 1 bid , if I had a way to go get this bike (16 hour round trip) I would of blasted that 180 right out of the water !!! , If you want to chop it up I geuss that's ok as long as you finish what you started with style ,, I don't know if I feel worse about the guy only getting 180 for it , or the simple fact that he listed it for the 180 ? ,, I wish I would have been able to get it !!!
                        That is the thing about ebay. I will put an amount just over what it is at when I look at it,if I want it.Then at the end of an auction, like 1 minute, I will place a bid for the maximum price I am willing to pay. That way, the only bids that can beat mine, is from a guy that is willing to pay more.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                          I love my XS650. But its a small bike. When one is chopped bopped boobed floobed rat bike Brat bike bratwurst or whatever they become even smaller! A hardtail lowers the seat height so much that a even short guy looks to way to tall on one.
                          Hi Mike,
                          whatcha mean, small? As you lie there with the hot exhaust atop your leg you have to admit it's a tad heavy.
                          And if you've watched too many Orange County Chopper shows (like, more than 5 minutes) and DIY a rear suspended bike into a hardtail, you can build the seat at whatever height you want.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yea Fred but I do my best to stay ON TOP of my bikes! I sure would like a latest generation Triumph to play with Nice big 860cc twin with lots of aftermarket goodies to customize!

Comment

Don- Skip the '77 and go for the '78. 2D has points, E has TCI, better cams, etc.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                                Yea Fred but I do my best to stay ON TOP of my bikes! I sure would like a latest generation Triumph to play with Nice big 860cc twin with lots of aftermarket goodies to customize!
                                Hi Mike,
                                don't we all? And wouldn't we all? But
                                1) sometimes sh1t happens and
                                2) Alas! for some, poverty rules.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X