FJ1200 vs XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJ1200 vs XS1100

I love my 1979 XS1100 and would never sell it...but now I have an opportunity to buy a 1986 FJ 1200.

I like the design and the wind protection. I am wondering how the two bikes compare in terms of handling and power.

Anything else I should be aware of, e.g. technical issues?

Any comments are appreciated.

Greetings from Colorado,
    Armin
    2018 Suzuki DR650, no XS1100 right now.

Oh, let me at this one. I own, maintain and ride both - a 1990 FJ1200 3CV and a 1980 XS1100 SG

Engine-wise the FJ12 has a higher top speed and higher horsepower, both engines are 'grunty' and deliver power evenly through the rev range.

FJ12 handling is more planted than the XS - particularly in corners, none of that XS11 'corkscrewing' round the bend. However, many FJ owners upgrade the front brakes (to Yamaha gold/blue spots), the front wheel (to Yamaha FZR) and the rear wheel (to FZR or Suzuki GSXR). I've done these mods and would recommend them.

For seat comfort it's the XS11 for me every time, and my pillion thinks so too. She can last a hour on the FJ12 before we have to pull over to 'adjust', it's 2 hours on the XS11. I'm very happy with the normal XS11 SG seat but fitted a gel pad into my FJ12 seat within weeks of buying the bike.

Oddly, the FJ12 screen pushes the wind blast up onto my helmet so the wind protection is better on my unfaired XS11 I've tried an extended screen and the Vario add-on to the screen but no change. It does make a nice change to stay reasonably dry when it rains though.

As the FJ is a chain driven bike you'll have to get used to oiling and adjusting the chain regularly, that'll make you appreciate the XS11 final drive just a little bit more. But then again, with the FJ you don't have to worry about the pickup coil wires

There's a big userbase of FJ12's, so parts and bikes are (relatively) cheap. The FJ12 user forums are much like this forum - very friendly and useful.

I ride the same roads faster on the FJ than the XS. The twisties are ridden faster 'cos the FJ handles better; the straights are faster 'cos the FJ has a higher top speed. So, I pick the FJ when it's a quick blast out in the countryside with friends and the XS when I'm going to be on the bike all day.

Go on, buy it !
    Brian
    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Same for me there.. in 1990 I had them both. The FJ did almost everything better than the XS except ...... vibration through pegs and handlebars at cruising speeds of 90 -110 mph. Numb fingers and hands were the reason I traded the FJ in for a new Triumph 1200 Trophy in 1991. Very similar to the FJ except no vibration. Still have it....
      XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
      MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
      Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
      Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
      Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
      Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Buy it, you wont regret it. I've gone one step further by getting an XJR1300. Essentially the same engine as the FJ, just a little bigger. Comparing my XS to the XJR is next to impossible as theyre a completley different ride, but mechanically both are as strong as an ox and i love riding both.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamric View Post
          FJ12 handling is more planted than the XS - particularly in corners, none of that XS11 'corkscrewing' round the bend.
          The only time I've experienced that is when I'm not realxed in the turn and I'm trying to MAKE the bike do something.

If you just look at the spot you going and let the bike do the work it's pretty smooth.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
          X