burnt xv1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burnt xv1100

well i was on my way to work with a buddy today when his wife called an told me that my 1995 virago was up in flames. the fire department was there putting out my bike. when i got there the bike was burnt to the ground. what would cause a perfectly running bike with no leaks to speak of to just go up in flames. the power was off and the key was in my hand! i dont understand!!!!

Does his wife like you?....

Probably an electrical short, and a pretty good one. Get a good one going, and the battery can outgas hydrogen (very flammable) and poof, away it goes... bummer.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Wow... Sorry to hear about that. Maybe your XS was jealous?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Was a fellow XSsive a few months or so back, had two XS11s on his front porch, working on the one. Never really got all the details, but essentially, the one he was working on caught fire, burnt up both bikes AND his house!!! So he no longer owns the house, or the bikes!!!

Like Steve suggested, what can cause heat enough to ignite any of the components of the bike, with no running engine? Almost has to be an electrical short on the bike somewhere that heated up that hot. Either that, or someone REALLY does not like you!!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Stuck relay sending power to the ignition until it fried?

Comment

Working...
          X