OT: Virago problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Virago problem

When I was getting ready to sell my Virago, I discovered that one of the carbs was flooding and it was dumping gas into the carbs.

So I ordered a new set of float valves and then took the carbs apart. To my surprise, I found the float valves were fine but one of the floats was cracked. So I bought a new float and put in the new float valves anyway. I buttoned up the bike, changed the oil. The bike ran great and I was sure I solved the problem.

Shortly afterward I sold the bike. Now the bike is flooding again and the new owner is PO'ed at me. I'm not sure what could possibly be wrong other than maybe something got in the gas. Could a fragment large enough to block a float valve open get thought the electric fuel pump?

Anyway I'm likely stuck taking the carbs apart again.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. It's been years since I turned wrenches for a living and I'm stumped on this one...

Tony
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Virago Problwm

Geezer,

Have you checked this? (copied from another site).

"Just to be safe, no matter what combination of float seat / float pin parts you use, you need to make one more check. There should be nominal clearance between the outer "shoulder" of the float seat and the pin valve spring "clip" when the rubber tip is resting on the bottom of the seat with no pressure other than gravity. The "clip" is the wire retainer that surrounds the float "tang." Make this check with the carbs upside down on your bench. I don't actually measure this, I just eyeball to make sure there is some visual clearance. A bit of clearance is good...no clearance is very bad!

If the aftermarket float pin is too short and / or the aftermarket float valve seat is too thick, the "clip" will bottom on seat shoulder before the rubber tip can do its job of controlling the fuel flow. I make this visual check on all carbs I re-do. I've never found a problem of this nature with OEM parts but you never know when there might be a packaging mix up or the like."
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Thanx but that's not it. I checked all that before I put it back together. Also it was fine for a few weeks before flooding out.

Tony

Comment

Did you flush out the fuel tank? It doesn't take a very big particle to inhibit the movement of the float valve. Change the oil if it smells like gasoline.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking too. This time I'm putting on a pair of fuel filters. The Virago 1100 has 2 tanks and taking both of them off is a PITA...

Tony

Comment

Did you change out the fuel lines? The old black rubber lines deteriorate from the inside, and a big chunk can keep that pin open.

Also, FWIW, the couple of times I've replaced pins with new ones that have those wire keepers to hold them to the float, I've had problems. Removing the keeper solved the problem...YMMV.
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
            X