113 ultima evo on a 98 softtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 113 ultima evo on a 98 softtail

Do you think it could out run an xs1100? I heard that it did?
    It's just me at the edge..........waving

Probably with very little effort...

A Softail isn't all that much heavier than a XS, and those big-inch motors can easily put out a hp-per-inch, more if you get serious. They'll only rev safely to about 6-6.5K rpm, but within that range, look out!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

v twins (harleys) are great motors. minus there still using push rods.. only downside. and when it comes to power it all of the line. harley might beat the xs in the 1/4 but not in a half.
      _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
      1980 gs1000g "stock"
      1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
      2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by QRFan View Post
        Do you think it could out run an xs1100? I heard that it did?
        Hi Fan,
        drag strip, race track, city to city or where?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I just built a 97" Road King for my boss that puts 94hp and 104 ft/lbs torque down at the wheel. It will stomp an XS1100. But it is also well over 1500cc's.
          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Harley's are good machines in reality. However, the top out RPM wise pretty quick, so it's all about the gearing to get them to go fast, but they have the torque to do it, that being one of the strengths of a v-type motor. But my experience is that they don't go through the twisties as well as even an XS11, but that's not what they were made for. They will typically out tour one though, cause when we are all locked up and can't move the guy on the Harley will still be ready to go a few hundred more miles, cause that's what they are built for, comfort and miles.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

That 94hp and 106 ft-lbs of torque is a fairly conservative build; go just a bit more radical and you could have seen another 10-15 hp. If you want to see what's possible, look here: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/dynoroom.shtml
              Of particular interest is the Dan Norlin Buell; 140hp from 1340cc (82") in a package that weighs about 450 lbs! That's a V-Max killer...

As far as handling, yeah, the HD touring bikes and slop... er, softails aren't known for their performance in the twisties. Watch out for the Dynas though; with just a few suspension upgrades, those will show you the way home if you can keep up. If I were ever going to step up to a Big Twin from my Sportsters, that's what I would get....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...