The Dirty Little Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dirty Little Pig

A couple of pics of my 1982 Ironhead Sportster after a minor cosmetic makeover. The last bit of work to finish was the saddle. Got 'er done today and thought I'd show ya what I'd been workin' on...

Here's the seat I made from the pan to the hand-tooled cover. It was a lot of fun putting it together.

See ya!

nice work

It turned out looking great!

John
    Last edited by jwhughes3; 08-10-2011, 07:28 AM. Reason: wrong key hit
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
      A couple of pics of my 1982 Ironhead Sportster after a minor cosmetic makeover. The last bit of work to finish was the saddle. Got 'er done today and thought I'd show ya what I'd been workin' on...
      Hi John,
      nice looking bike. I have to admit that I've always sneered at the North American practice of putting tiny little gas tanks on large capacity bikes but really, how far can the Ironhead go on a peanut tankful of gas?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        ...but really, how far can the Ironhead go on a peanut tankful of gas?
        85 miles before switching to reserve, asssuming 50 mpg (typical mileage would be in the 55-60 range if the motor is reasonably stock and in good tune)....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Small tanks is dumb.

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          85 miles before switching to reserve, asssuming 50 mpg (typical mileage would be in the 55-60 range if the motor is reasonably stock and in good tune)....
          Hi Steve,
          so, say ~100 miles and the reserve is sucking on empty, just like a Special?
          When I'm touring I like to plan the trip between places of interest rather than between gas stations.
          Also, in rural Saskatchewan it can be a lot more than 100 miles between open gas stations, especially on Sundays and Stats.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Is that one of them AMF bikes? I had a buddy back in the late 7o's who had an AMF Sportster. Not the best yrs for HD. But yours looks really like rolling art...very nice. Love the seat
            1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
            2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Not an AMF. 1982 was the year the Factory was bought back from AMF. I got nothing against American Machine and Foundry. If they hadn't stepped up at the last minute to buy an American company that no one else wanted. All other negotiations had failed. AMF kept Harley alive and paid for the Evo which kept the new version of HD in business.

This bike isn't my first choice for long rides. I guess you would say it is mission specific, mainly for running around town and riding the fire trails in the Angeles Nat Forest. It's a fun, lightweight bike. I have run outta gas before, pull off the tank and start walkin. The motorcycle gas tank usually gets me a ride from a good samaritan, but if not, I don't mind walkin. Gas stations are pretty plentiful in SoCal. Guess if I lived in the hinterlands of Canada I would view it differently, but I look at it as a good excuse to stop every ninety minutes or so and stretch my legs.

I do have a couple of spare fuel canisters that fit in my throw-over saddlebags for longer trips that give some peace of mind.

Ride on...

Comment

83 sportster

I had a 83 sportster I bought new.It broke down once a week before it was a year old. All I got from the dealers was a shrug of the shoulder. The little tank was just right because at 85-90 miles ya needed a break from riding it anyway. I miss that bike sometimes!

Comment

1983 was the year the Ironhead got an alternator and everyone seemed to have trouble with '83 and'84. You must have a bit of an Ironhead addiction if you still miss it...even a little! Mine has been trouble-free, but I enjoy routine maintenance and even a bit extra, like Ironheads seem to demand.

I would really like to get a hold of a late sixties or early seventies Sporty. I really like the old style frame. The Evo style, like mine, is great cause it is very strong and light. But the old ones look sooo much cleaner and classier.

Comment

Working...
                  X