XJ Hard to start ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Hard to start ?

Why is my XJ550 such a bitch to start if left for longer than a day?
    I have fitted coils,battery,plugs,HT caps, and cleaned the carbs more times than you can shake a stick at, but to no avail it as a spark and new juice but she just sits a spins over with out a care in the world and refuses to fire up .
    its about as much use as a choclate tea pot.!!!!!!!!
    Ho when she dose run, smooth no misfire or flat spot really quite responsive and nice. and will then start every time that day .
    But leave it a day or to not a cat in hells chance .

Try this

Just for fun,try boosting it to start, just to see if it might be a weak battery, even though the battery spins it it still might not have enough juice to fire right. Another thing is the float settings might be off and its starving for fuel. To check squirt a little fuel in the vacumn holes on the intake then hit the starter if it takes right off it could be not getting its fuel, HTH.......MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

XJ550

Thanks for that Mitch , I shall go sit down my freezing shed and see what happerns ,then I might dig an hole and throw it in
      will let you know the score. thanks Gaz

Comment

My XS does that occasionally when it sits for more than a week. It takes a lot of cranking to get it to go - a couple of 5 second bursts. If I turn the petcocks to reserve first for a few seconds first, it takes right off.

Saturday turned out to be a nice day, so I took it out after storing it for the winter for the past 2 weeks. First I turned the petcocks for a few seconds and it started right up.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

xs

My XS as never let me down in all the 15 years that I have owned it .starts and runs a treat delightful bike to own and ride .

Comment

Working...
          X