xs400 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs400 1978

having some trouble with this one.... it is a kick onle and the starter has been removed. but question is that i have only power to my main fuse (i converted to a spade) and none of the other three...ignition, signal, headlamp. i checked all the connections adn there all clean and no corrsion. im on the xs400 site but they dont respond to my questions very well like they do on cnl 11. thx for the input
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

From the key switch there are 2 connectors in the wiring harness between it and the fuse box. The first is probably in the headlight bucket. The other near the fuse box(my guess).

I'd start at the main fuse and check it all the way to the switch making sure you have voltage going to it. Then back out to the fuse block.

Got a wiring diagram?
    Need one?
    Richard

Comment

i got one from there site but i see it useless knowing the previose owner gutted the starting system....plus its super low quality scanned type...looks very blotchy and hard to read. but i got one from ebay i bought (sinister cycles) but i was thinking maybe it my coils but no telling till i find power to all the fuses. ill go thru with my test light and see....
      _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

k i started at the igniton and have power to the red (main) all the way thru. power to the blue all the way thru (tail lamp) but nothing from brown( signals) or red/ white (ignition) maybe a bad ignition switch?

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Might just need to be taken apart and clean the contacts in it.
          Richard

Comment

ok... so all 4 wire should be hot right?

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

From the looks of the wiring diagram for a 78XS400E, the Red is the hot going to the key switch, the brown/white comes back and feeds 2 10amp fuses and the red/white feeds another 10amp fuse. Only the blue wire is not hot when the key is turned on. Looks like its for the taillight and only comes on in the park position.

Then there was the 78XS400-2E...
              Richard

Comment

thats what mine is a 2e.....

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Here it is. Hope this helps.

Richard

Comment

thanks brother that helps out a bunch.... i checked out the wiring and everything seem to be correct. so what whould have to be bad in order for it to not get any spark? coils, points? i rebuilt the kill switch still kinda iffy but it works.... is it needed to have a rectifier and regulator? thanks for the responses

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

You don't need to reg/rect to get spark, but with point the ignition system should be pretty simple. IIRC the coils are pretty simple to check, but I don't remember the primary and secondary resistances off the top of my head, but I'd start by making sure you have voltage to the primary side of the coils with the key on (one side should have voltage, the other may or may not depending on if the points are open or closed). If no voltage, then you need to trace back to where the voltage starts being there in the circuit. I've worked in electronics all my adult life and I hate electrical troubleshooting .
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Check the Red/White at the coils with the key on and stop switch on. Have voltage?
                        If not I'd re-verify that stop/run switch. You could jump around it, then see if you have voltage at the coils with the key on.
                        Richard

Comment

ok ill do it tomorrow when i come hope from work....keep yea posted ill add some pics too to show yea what im working with

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

i think i got pinned down to te kill switch.... i took it a part and the 2 springs inside are just rust dust..lol.. so im going to have to wire it to a switch....next question... muric acid ate thru my petcock...lol. but was wondering if u thing the petcocks fromm all years would interchange...

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

UPDATE!!!!! KURBY LIVES!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROZgbSACM4s

watch me^

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Working...
                              X