Making a flat/dirt track looking bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a flat/dirt track looking bike

I have taking a liking to the flat track look of 70s bikes and have been thinking. I can get a great running 1975 Yamaha DT250 for $200. Id like a smaller street bike beside my XS1100 as well as a smaller bike for my daughter to ride. Im thinking of doing the DT up flat track style- completely street legal. I see the seat and fiberglass sets are a little pricey but my concern is getting one with the correct lines for the DT. I am watching some seats on ebay but am wondering if anyone here has done a bike up like this. I really like the type of tires used on these bikes and the shortened front fenders. Very rugged and great looking.

Heres a pic of the candidate.

Comment

That bike would make a bitchen cafe
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Keep ALL the STOCK parts, as well. The old enduro's are worth MORE than our XS11's! I think they DID use them for flat track racing, though! Check some of the old bike mags for articles or pictures.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I traded the enduro today for an XS650. I originally wanted a dirt track themed bike but Im gonna leave the 650 as is cosmetically.

Comment

Looks like a good trade to me. Nice looking bike.
            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

That YamaHammer 250 Enduro anit a flat track bike.

Years ago I bought a Yam 360 Enduro with wizeco head and hooker expansion chamber. Had a tourqe curve fro 7 to 12K and went Zero to 60. No faster due to the hudge rear sproket.

Well I tried racing on a flat track made from the coral reef in Jeddah with some Honday Elsnore 125s ( Those are flat track bikes)

I ripped half my arm off on the coral in the first turn.

Dont try flat tracking with Enduros.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedGood View Post
                That YamaHammer 250 Enduro anit a flat track bike.

Years ago I bought a Yam 360 Enduro with wizeco head and hooker expansion chamber. Had a tourqe curve fro 7 to 12K and went Zero to 60. No faster due to the hudge rear sproket.

Well I tried racing on a flat track made from the coral reef in Jeddah with some Honday Elsnore 125s ( Those are flat track bikes)

I ripped half my arm off on the coral in the first turn.

Dont try flat tracking with Enduros.
                Ouch! The DT is gone because I traded it and some $$ for an XS650 Special 2. I should clarify IF I do mods it will be a "Street Tracker"- look of a dirt tracker but 100% street/commuter use.

Comment

Working...
                X