got a xs400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a xs400

starting to get really xsive....lol but i pick up a rough looking 78 xs400 but all is there. so i got it as is with a locked up front drum and missing keys. but came with title so i should be good. it turns over and has spark and good compression... get pick for you all later..
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

runs like crap but i got it running..... just needed a key
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

so i got kurby pretty much dimantled but i cant figure out this drum..... how the hell do u get it off? i tryed tapping with a dead blow hammer but nothing and prying with a flat head but it wont budge...hummmm

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

If the shoes are stuck your going to have to figure out how to get them broke free cause they will hold it in place. If you take the external linkages off the brakes, you might be able to push them in through the plate allowing it to come off so you can get to the inside of the brake drum, but you just might be looking for a new wheel for it. I had the front shoes come apart on mine and the only reason it didn't jam was that the friction material also came loose from the shoes at the same time, but I did have a time getting it loose from the drum and then it took some work with sandpaper to clean it up. And the shoes are pretty hard to find for those these days, as they are NLA and pretty scarce.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

well i sighned up on the xs400.com site and they i had to remove the whole wheel to even get into this thing...lol.... going to be fun i might just convert to disk brake but idk.....

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
            well i sighned up on the xs400.com site and they i had to remove the whole wheel to even get into this thing...lol.... going to be fun i might just convert to disk brake but idk.....
            Yeah, you do need to take the wheel off to take the drum apart, at least if your talking about taking the wheel off the forks. But that's all you should have to do, but thinking back, I'm recalling that those shoes are fastened to that moving plate, so your going to need to get them to break loose from the drum before you can get that thing apart.
            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Spade Fuse Box
            750 FD Mod
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

wow that was really easy!!!lol but i just used a dremal with a wore wheel and cleaned the snot out of the drum and it was as good as new. ok so next question... this a 78 and is a kick only bike apparnely..lol
              here some pics of what i begain with and what im currently at...

what i started with

so far this is what i got basic cleaning and stuff

hears a registartion sticker from 1976 lol kinda cool i wasent born till 12 years after....

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

sorry i didnt get to ask the question... the steel reserve took over... but anywayz is there a way to wire the ignition to a toggle switch insted of twisting a key?

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

sorry i didnt get to ask the question... the steel reserve took over... but anywayz is there a way to wire the ignition to a toggle switch insted of twisting a key?
                  Yes, find the two wires at the key that complete the ignition circuit and hook your toggle switch to those.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

wow that was really easy!!!lol but i just used a dremal with a wore wheel and cleaned the snot out of the drum and it was as good as new. ok so next question... this a 78 and is a kick only bike apparnely..lol
                    here some pics of what i begain with and what im currently at...

what i started with

so far this is what i got basic cleaning and stuff

hears a registartion sticker from 1976 lol kinda cool i wasent born till 12 years after....

No, the bump right behind the jugs is the starter. It should have a wire coming down to it from above, as a 78 should be electric start unless someone removed the starter stuff, but factory they had electric start.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

yea the starter is gone... so assuming ecerything else is too....hell there isnt even a start button..lol... oh well i like kicking it anyway

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Working...
                      X