Carb advice needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb advice needed!!

Still working on the 82 xj650j. Everything back together including the YCIS eliminator. Started up first try with air needles at 2 turns, no choke and ran good. Did a carb synch and only the first one was way off, others not too bad. Connected the color tune but could not get the blue flame, just yellow.
    No matter if you close the air needles all the way or open all the way there is no change. It idles OK at 1,050 and when you rev it past 3,000 sometimes it takes a while to come down.
    Plugs are black. Is it sucking air somewhere or are the carb floats not working properly?
    I took the carbs off to check the air needles thinking I must have broken the tip, but they are good !!! Thank God.
    Any ideas??
    79 XS1100F.
    SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
    TC's fuse box.
    SOFA filter.
    Venture cam chain adjuster.
    Tkat fork brace.
    Progressive fork springs.

Try lowering your floats........1mm at a time.

One other thing, if you rebuilt the carbs did the kits have new jets, particulaly the pilots?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi BA80.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Try lowering your floats........1mm at a time.
      One other thing, if you rebuilt the carbs did the kits have new jets, particulaly the pilots?
      No rebuild, just clean up. Bike had 40,000 and was running, just had a very bad oil leak from around head and cylinder.
      As it had never been done, I just acid cleaned up the carbs and re installed.
      79 XS1100F.
      TC's fuse box.
      SOFA filter.
      Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
        It idles OK at 1,050 and when you rev it past 3,000 sometimes it takes a while to come down.
        This sounds like a symptom of being out of sync. It shouldn't do that even if the individual carbs are out of adjustment.

I am by no means an expert on XJ650s. I am assuming the carbs are similar to the 1100 and am offering up my experienced advice there.

I would address the problem of slow to return to idle first. As I said before, that sounds like a sync problem but could also be a sticky throttle cable or throttle shaft.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the comments BA80.

I'll address those issues and see what happens.
          79 XS1100F.
          TC's fuse box.
          SOFA filter.
          Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Thanks for the input BA80.

I'll address those issues and see what happens.
            79 XS1100F.
            TC's fuse box.
            SOFA filter.
            Tkat fork brace.

Comment

You have the idle set to high. Probably out of sync. It should idle around 900 rpm's. Lower it until the rpms come down immediately after revving it up. I've seen this on many XJ 650's. The XJ 650 is one of my favorite bikes to work on. Send me a PM is you need anything of have problems.
              "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
              X