XS650 Squeal Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS650 Squeal Diagnosis

I have a 79' XS650, that has a horrendous high pitched whirring squeal in the engine.

A few years ago when I was even greener to motorcycles and more importantly motorcycle mechanical work than I am today, I was trying to adjust my carbs for the first time, using the ever so unreliable Hanes manual. I followed all the steps to the letter, and the bike sounded great. The next day when I attempted to start the bike, no go, the plugs were fouled. I changed them out, and after a little coaxing, the bike fired up.

However, it now had a fairly high pitched squealing/ whirring sound. The sound increases in pitch as the engine is revved. Based on the resistance of the kick starter it still seems to have good compression. It drives fine, although I've only taken it on short test drives in order to try to diagnose the problem.
    I've fired the bike up for various friends who are fairly experienced in the mechanical arts, but no one has been able to come up with a diagnosis.

It's been sitting for a long time as I assume it's well beyond my abilities, but I figured at the very least I would throw it out there for all of your consideration and collective know-how.

Thanks in advance!
    Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
    (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

I've had exactly that noise come from my XS11G. No idea what it is though but it does get louder as the bike revs and goes completely away when at idle.
    1980 XS11G 22XXX miles.

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
      I have a 79' XS650, that has a horrendous high pitched whirring squeal in the engine.
      Pat, maybe the starter is sticking?
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

@Trey- With mine it doesn't go away at idle. If it's on it's squealing.

@Scott- Interesting, how would one go about verifying a stuck starter?
        Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
        (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
          @Trey- With mine it doesn't go away at idle. If it's on it's squealing.

@Scott- Interesting, how would one go about verifying a stuck starter?
          Good question, Pat. It would depend on what is 'stuck': the starter electrical circuit or the actual mechanical part of the starter/gears/springs.

Assuming the engine doesn't crank over and start as soon as you turn on the ignition, if a sticky starter solenoid is keeping the starter motor engaged then removing the wire from the solenoid to the starter and using the kicker to start the engine would stop the noise.

If it's a mechanical problem you would have to dig into the engine. There's a little more information about it at "XS650.com: Starter makes scratching noise"
          but I can't hear the noise you're hearing from here so it's hard to hear where the noise is coming from.
          -- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I'm a greenie too, so I wouldn't hold anything I throw out there in very high regard, but I'd like to see what others that actually know what they're doing say. That way I can learn from this too!

What about bearings in the crank case? I always hear that bearings hate gas in the oil... and SeaFoam. I've never heard exactly what the exact aftermath is, but I've heard that gas in the oil can be pretty common, especailly if the carbs were recently adjusted.

Like I said, I could be, and likely am way off, but it seems like it could be a bearing if it speeds up with the RPMs. I'm sure someone else will kick in with more info though, and we can both learn from it!
            -Whatever it is, it's better in the wind.

1980 XS1100SG - "Bluesy Suzy"
            -Oil cooler
            -TKAT Fork Brace
            -Drilled Airbox w/ K&N
            -Engine guards
            -Speed Bleeders
            -TC's blade fuse block (waiting to be installed)

Comment

Originally posted by mr_misfit138 View Post
              it seems like it could be a bearing if it speeds up with the RPMs.

It could be a bearing but it could be a loose cam chain tensioner.

Always check the simple things first.

I mean, it's not as though I was ever green and did anything like ripping up a perfectly good engine because I heard a noise -- nope, not me! No way Hose A!
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Working...
              X