Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a '83 Venture

Alright all you Venture owners...

What are your likes/dislikes of the early Ventures? I found a '83 Venture in the local Nickel Ads for $850. I called the guy up and am going to go take a look at it tomorrow. It's got 31k on the odometer. It's been laid down lightly by his brother who was the previous owner. Mostly cosmetic with bent engine guard, and scratches on the fairing and trunk. His brother put $1200 worth of maintenance into it before he bought it from him. He said he rode it once to get it insured and has been parked in his barn since. He says it starts right up and runs great.

I know to look for the second gear problem which Yamadog let the Venture inherit from the XS/XJ's. Any other problems to look out for with this bike? Like I said, I'm going to take a look and test ride tomorrow. From what I've seen in other ads and Kelly Blue Book the $850 asking price is quite a steal.

Thanks
    Jim Middlestadt
    1980 XS1100LG Twisted Madness-Gone
    1983 XVZ12TK Venture-Gone
    1996 XVZ13A Black Magic-100,000 plus miles and going strong
    2006 XVZ 1300 Venture

Venture

Jim as u are probley aware i have a 84, I paid 4000 canadian about 7 bucks american, for mine with 30 ks on it . I have put 10000 klms on it this summer and it was better on fuel and loves the twisties which suprized me! Downfall is it is heavy around town, and in parking lots etc. Check the exhaust it is very expensive for mufflers . I just put two shorties on mine I like the noise, just me.Bent two pipesto go from the converter to the mufflers, everthing bolted right on it was a small job really.They have a hydrulic clutch make sure the fluid is clean same as the brakes. I find that the venture has as much grunt at highway speeds as the xj did so they dont lack in that end. They dont have as much clunk when u put them in 1st, and i think venture drivers tend to be eazier on the tranny than xs riders , Ok guys just an opinion But u do look silly driving the snot out of a touring bike ! Would i buy another one ? Yes for sure i like it nice to take gear with u on trips, beer on ice, oops thinkin out loud .........MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
    X