New (Old) Honda in the stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (Old) Honda in the stable

V45 Magna, Just rode one for the first time. Not bad. Little down on power from the 11 but respectable. My daughters boy friend just bought it. PO had the rear brake all out of rig after changing out the shoes but I can't see of feel anything else PO'ed at this point. Any one know anything about these? I started it on a seafoam diet and it seems to be helping the flat spot in throttle response in mid range. It also feels just a little out of sync but good enough to get him thru the summer. Cold blooded animal but once it warms up its ok. Bike is in good condition, no rust. It also cleaned right up with some back to black.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

They are known for a top end oiling issue that kills the cams. Keep an eye on that.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That was on the 1100(V-65) Nate, and physically had to be modded for proper oiling of the valve-train. Decent durable scoots and the V-65Magna would put a whoopin' on the XS11, straight-line and twisties.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

From my research it was a problem with the early 45's just as with the 65's. My brother has one and people he has talked to about it say its a issues with the 45's as well.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I had a V-45 and the cam issue is in all honda's until 87-ish. there is a fellow selling a bolt on kit in canada that fits between the filter and the block that increases Oil presser to the top end.

And if the bike is tuned right it will cruise 90mph with plenty left

Comment

Thanks Folks. I read about the oiling problem. I'm recommending that the owner do frequent oil changes and take it easy until everything is at operating temp. M4sherman any contact info on the guy with the kit?
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
              Thanks Folks. I read about the oiling problem. I'm recommending that the owner do frequent oil changes and take it easy until everything is at operating temp. M4sherman any contact info on the guy with the kit?
              Most kits are not cheap! Here are a couple

http://www.honda-v4.com/sabmag/v4honda/oilmod-dd.html

http://www.sunley.ca/moto.html
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ174964970

Comment

Working...
                X