battery issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery issue

So i bought a battery from Wal-Mart almost 1 1/2 years ago for my Kawasaki ZRX 1100.I bought it during the winter months and kept it refreshed by using a Battery Tender.If the bike sits for more than 2 weeks the battery has lost enough volts that the bike wont start.All it takes is about 10 minutes on the charger and then it will fire up.Does this sound like a bad cell?
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
    Does this sound like a bad cell?
    Cy, have you checked the voltage at the battery when the bike is running and fully warmed up after a ride? If the charging system is working up to its usual high standard of performance and not undercharging the battery then it could be a bad cell in the battery.

Is there any sign of electrolyte venting/leaking from a cracked case, overcharging or overheating?

Can you measure the specific gravity of each cell or is it a sealed battery?

If it's not a sealed battery has it ever run low on water?

If not, take it back to Wally World and get another battery.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

If the battery sits for like 2 weeks battery voltage is 11.5 volts.I put the charger for maybe 10 minutes to 20 minutes then the bike will start.Running it is almost 14.2 at idle.Have never ran it low on water and the level is fine.Battery is not leaking-almost looks brand new.I have the device with the balls inside i could check the gravity but looking at the receipt thinking i will have to get a new one because Wal-Mart only warranties their motorcycle batteries for 6 months.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Sorry about that, OldYam, I was reading two threads at the same time there and fumble-brained the threads.

11.5 volts on a battery is almost deceased!

Unless there is a short somewhere in the wiring or an accessory like a bike alarm that keeps a load on the battery even when the bike is switched off you need a new battery.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

No short-bike has less than 3200 miles on it!Had a battery go bad on me from Wal-Mart already, i guess i should upgrade to a Yuasa!
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Interstate battery in my Venturer is just short 2months of being 6yrs.old.......still 12.3V with no load. Added distilled water once, re-charged once(my bad) and never close to a battery tender.............old school addage:battery is only as good as how many times it will take a charge before one or more cells finially short.............that and assorted other wet cell twelve volt system do's and don'ts, tenders don't exist in my man-cave! The ST's Honda battery is also 6+years old now and still checks out as new when load tested...........hmmmmm.........tick......tick.... ...tick.....
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
            X