Honda CX500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda CX500

Flirting with the idea of picking up one of these. Said to have been sitting for a few years and no battery. Anything I should look for or expect to be a problem? Typical things that need attention other than brakes, carbs, and tank after sitting so long?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

I'd expect it all to be a problem

But I think I'd check to see if the wiring had been rigged up or stock mostly. Just think it is easier if all stock to get it going again.

You know what to look for - you've been as deep into a bike as anyone I know.

I do like the looks and size of those...

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I looked into these a few years back. I remember something about the lack of availibility of certain parts. Stators or something to that effect.
      I think the "Flying V" looks pretty cool if done up right. There were even some turbo models.
      Here's a link to one of their forums: http://cx500forum.com/
      Dan
      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Thanks John...I know a bit about these XS11's thanks to all the great help I have received from others on this site that helped guide to gaining my own first hand experiences.

Never owned a CX500, so just trying to see if they have any known defects like the XS11 fuse box, or pickup coil wires, 2nd/1st gear issues. That kind of stuff, things I should probably just budget money to fix since it probably will not run.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The alternator is one of the first things to pack up, and it's at the back of the engine, and replacement or repair means it's an engine out job.
          I know 'cos i've had 2 when i was a despatch rider.
          Early models had a problem witht he top end, i.e. the camshaft and tensioner, but Honda should have fixed that under warranty.
          The crankshaft is supposed to be good for 200,000 miles, when it then goes West, i never got mine up into those mileages.
          But apart from that, they're a good little shafty, liquid cooled aswell. Parts are still available and relatively cheap.

Comment

I had a 82 CX 500 turbo which was my first bike. It was a good bike only thing I didn't like was you never knew when the turbo would hit. It was wicked to ride in the rain. I put many miles on it and it still on the road (motor). My bike got stolen and wrecked bad the motor now rests in a different turbo bike. I think I have a pic.

Tried to make it took like the bike FX rode in the Nightrider series.
            68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
            76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
            79 special (skull bike)
            79 special (parts bike w/title)
            79 special
            80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
            81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
            81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
            80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
            81 650 maxim
            81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
            88 Zx 600r (Sold)
            01 Gz 250

Comment

cx

I had one also,,,,when they first came out. They were the first jap, shaft,watercooled full sized, small bore, vtwin touring type bike and it was cheap. I had it three years and remember it to be a nice cruiser, full size, but slightly underpowered, especially two up. It was typical Honda, smooth, troublefree, easy to get on and go. For mileage, I think it was high forties. The sound was cool, being like a small Guzzi with a slight buzz at speed. The alternators are known to be a problem but it never went out on mine. All in all, I would recommend for a city cruiser, but for long distance it isnt up to higher speed cruising, but it is a very unique type of bike. Good luck, Mike
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
              1959 wife

Comment

I had one of those.It was my first street bike years ago.It was smooth and fun to ride.Mine was a full dresser.CX500 Deluxe.
                The only problem I had with mine was the fan.I developed a knock in the engine and feared the worst.I couldn't figure it out.I had to take i t to the dealer.It turned out the fan was molded to an aluminum hub,and over time, the bond between the plastic fan and the hub had separated.So the fan would rock on the hub, causing the knock.
                The bike was a little underpowered, but for my first bike, it was great and very reliable.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                X