seating the bead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seating the bead

I cant get the gosh darn bead to seat! Any suggestions?
    Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Rachet strap, or rope, or starting fluid. Try in that order, getting more desperate as you go!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

hold my beer and watch this!

I had a bit of luck last weekend getting the old tire on my parts bike to seat by getting up on center stand, then spraying some good blasts of starting fluid into the tire carcass around the rim. Hit it with the BBQ lighter and the small convenient explosion popped the rubber out to the rim, perfectly seated. Of course, I wasn't prepared for the small fire consuming the bottom outside of the tire, but a shop rag beat that out good enough.
      My buddy stood there shaking his head, but yeah it got 'er done.

scoot

Comment

Originally posted by scoot View Post
        I had a bit of luck last weekend getting the old tire on my parts bike to seat by getting up on center stand, then spraying some good blasts of starting fluid into the tire carcass around the rim. Hit it with the BBQ lighter and the small convenient explosion popped the rubber out to the rim, perfectly seated. Of course, I wasn't prepared for the small fire consuming the bottom outside of the tire, but a shop rag beat that out good enough.
        My buddy stood there shaking his head, but yeah it got 'er done.

scoot
        Nice!

Aight Got it!...I took the tire back off, and the put it right back on...Then i PB blasted the sidewall near the rim and popped right in...not to do the front one...

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that i HATE Installing Tires...I can't get the bead seated...for my front tire...tried rope, ratchet straps, lighter fluid, IDK, I JUST DONT KNOW!...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

It really is a pain! Get one of those inflation chucks that you can hook onto the stem (or have someone hold it there and slowly work the ratchet strap.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i must be doin something wrong cause i just cant get it!

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

Never used any more than soapy water and air pressure. Usually have trouble getting them off, but never back on.

What's the Ratchet Strap method ??? and Lighter Fluid ??? Are You Serious ???
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Ratchet strap and rope all you do is wrap it around the tread and squeezing the tire to force the sidewalls out enough to make contact with the rim so it will catch.

Lighter fluid NO, starting fluid....if desperate. Spray it in and then toss a match at it. The sudden peerssure wave of the expanding air from the flame forces the sidewalls out. Starting fluid flash dries so outside is ok and anything inside is is smothered. I have only used that method on very large tires.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                    Never used any more than soapy water and air pressure. Usually have trouble getting them off, but never back on.

What's the Ratchet Strap method ??? and Lighter Fluid ??? Are You Serious ???
                    Fire ia a trailside offroad fix. Dont think I would use it on a motorcycle at home though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpYWk...eature=related
                    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Get a can of bead sealer at Advance Auto or Autozone. It's a liquid with a brush. This and a clip on tire chuck will usually work if you hold the tire off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by kwats View Post
                        Get a can of bead sealer at Advance Auto or Autozone. It's a liquid with a brush. This and a clip on tire chuck will usually work if you hold the tire off the ground.
                        unfortunately though I love advance auto much more than auto zone thats all thats around is auto zone, and they dont carry it...I did however finally get it on by putting starter fluid in at first that didn't work though and i was afraid so i made sure i put the fire out quick...like within 10 seconds of it catching...since it didn't work i tryed again...this time i pushed 100lbs of air at it...it worked instantly...so i checked the pressure, it had 20 lbs in it...i let it cool then added the correct seating amount appx 45lbs...then i released the air and added the beads...DONE! now just gotta put the tire on tomorrow, get the read valves back in and hopefully the motorsports dealer will have my airfilter and oil filter so i can get the fluids and filters changed and my bike should be good as new...[crosses fingers and knocks on wood]

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

Working...
                        X