On the Go Mechanic Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Go Mechanic Company

I was thinking about building a Motorcycle business where the mechanic comes to you to diagnose any issues as well as doing roadside emergency repairs. or if the bike needs to be taken due to lets say an engine overhaul we come to pick it up and bring it back. I think I could cut the cost of Labor down by about 20 dollars and then incorporate a destination fee for say 20 dollars, more if its outside a certain radius in which case it would basically cost the same amount as any other shop out there... and if its outside the radius basically paying a little extra convenience fee...
    Yes for everything!
    0.00%
    Yes some times.
    30.00%
    Yes but only if it wasn't any more expensive than a regular shop.
    10.00%
    For road side a assistance only.
    10.00%
    Not very often if ever.
    20.00%
    Never Prolly Too Expensive!
    20.00%
    Seems Legit.
    10.00%
    Last edited by g15usmc; 04-30-2011, 12:44 PM.
    Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

I have often wondered if you got a van and tire machines and all you did was swap tires at night if it would make money.
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Many many moons ago, a friend of mine started up a business doing just this for cars. He drove to your house, changed the oil, did routine maintenance and repairs right in your drive. Took the old oil and all with him.

At the same time he started a business selling computer networking for small businesses. He closed up the car service gig in a year or less, he was way to busy with the computer business and never made much if any money on the car end anyway.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Many many moons ago, a friend of mine started up a business doing just this for cars. He drove to your house, changed the oil, did routine maintenance and repairs right in your drive. Took the old oil and all with him.

At the same time he started a business selling computer networking for small businesses. He closed up the car service gig in a year or less, he was way to busy with the computer business and never made much if any money on the car end anyway.
        Well, thats interesting because I've thought about the computer business a lot too. However, I know that at least in upstate NY, there are a lot more computer places then bike places. I was thinking that it would be more than just oil changes, i was thinking that it would be just like any Full Service PowerSports Parts, and Mechanics Shop with the exception that we come to you instead of you coming to us. almost like a Stapon tool truck that brings you your tools and picks up your broken ones etc.

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Like I said, this was MANY moons ago. In fact, I bought my very first ever home computer from him, and it was a 40 MHz machine...it ran at 40 with a turbo card in it. Yes, THAT many moons ago. So I am sure the computer business is alot more competitive these days.

However, people are even more monetarily conservative these days. Combine that with all the environmental laws and regulations about storing and transporting, and disposing of chemicals and such. I would think it a tough go at best. But then, I am no entreprenuer (however that is spelled).
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Like I said, this was MANY moons ago. In fact, I bought my very first ever home computer from him, and it was a 40 MHz machine...it ran at 40 with a turbo card in it. Yes, THAT many moons ago. So I am sure the computer business is alot more competitive these days.

However, people are even more monetarily conservative these days. Combine that with all the environmental laws and regulations about storing and transporting, and disposing of chemicals and such. I would think it a tough go at best. But then, I am no entreprenuer (however that is spelled).
            Monetarily I would be trying to keep the charges pretty close to the same as any other shop out there with the extra convenience of me coming to them, with the exception of far out places, like woodstock...sorry had to say it...anyway like i was saying on the side of storing and transportation of chemicals I would prolly do that on the same side as any other mechanic shop...and I would also have an actual garage as well for bigger jobs anyway, so I dont think that transporting a few gallons of used motor oil would be require any special hazmat license...I believe there is a max carry limit before a hazmat license is required as well...Im thinking in my Pori-garage trailer i might be carrying a max of 5 or 6 gallons of new oil, the same max at the end of the day of used oil, maybe 10 gallons of extra fuel in case its needed for diagnostics, a couple gallons of antifreeze, a couple quarts of break fluid, maybe some transmission fluid, some axle grease PB blaster, Carb cleaner, WD-40 chain lube, and final gear case oil. and I think that coves most hazmat items. Thats about all what i carry with me when i go to the ATV races...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

Maybe a good idea.
              I hear there's a guy up near you that needs a 04 Suzuki Marauder 1600 fixed.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                Maybe a good idea.
                I hear there's a guy up near you that needs a 04 Suzuki Marauder 1600 fixed.
                Are you Talkin about meor someone else? I do all my own work...as much as possible anyway...only time i dont is if i dont have a tool i need and its too expensive to get at the time...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

I think he is poking fun!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

xoxoxoxoxo SF
                    79SF
                    XJ11
                    78E

Comment

the problem is i have the mechanics of the bike worked out, i just cant put a friggen tire on a rim and get it to work...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

BTW I got the bead seated...some fun involved too...not my first way of doing it, but it worked...STARTER FLUID! WOOHOO! scary though too...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

I don't know about where you live, but when I lived in Michigan a lot of the dealer's offered pick up and drop off of bikes when you wanted them serviced. They had a light pickup with a mini sized one of those tilting hydraulic beds like you see on wreckers.

If your area has similar you'd have to beat them on price and customer service, and possibly wait time (a lot of dealers seem to talk a long time to do anything).
                          1979 xs1100 Special -
                          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                          My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                            I don't know about where you live, but when I lived in Michigan a lot of the dealer's offered pick up and drop off of bikes when you wanted them serviced. They had a light pickup with a mini sized one of those tilting hydraulic beds like you see on wreckers.

If your area has similar you'd have to beat them on price and customer service, and possibly wait time (a lot of dealers seem to talk a long time to do anything).
                            The idea of this company is to do just that... the idea is to have a great customer service by being more personable by going to them for all of their needs as well as keeping them from having to wait to get their bike up...as for price, my idea is basically to cut the cost of labor to offset the cost to go to them...which would mean by way of pricing they aren't paying anything more than going to a local shop to get their bike serviced or fixed, however they dont actually have to get their bike in to the shop to get it fixed or serviced...and by adding the convenience to the equal price i believe the company would actually increase customer service/satisfaction while cutting their wait time too...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

I pretty much do my own work. So the only thing that I would need is road side assistance (that usualy is my son bringing the truck to get the bike home).
                              Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                              80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                              82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                              82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                              82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                              72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                              72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                              X