'04 Suzuki Marauder 1600 stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600 stumped

I am having issues with the Idle. I start the engine it does its warm up thing then lowers RPM to be "Normal". My idle is however not runing Normal. It is running around 600 RPM, Normal Idel is supposed to be 800 to 1000 RPM on this model according to my manual. So i have the bike running idling at 600 i raise the Idle using the idle screw and up it to 950ish, sounds nice looks good, and idle speed is varified by connecting to computer, I ride about 15 or 20 miles and the idle after coming to a complete stop is now 1500 RPM, so while sitting there i lower the Idle to 950 again, verified again through the computer, gotta love the laptop, i drive another few miles down the road it is now idling around 13-1400 RPM, so i lower it again to 950 and ride to my destination, Work where when i get there its reading 1250ish. On my lunch i go out to the bike start it and its running at around 500 RPM. I'm stumped and I'm not really sure what to do...tonight i plan to take the tank off and see if a some line is crimped or something loose. but If someone has some great insite on this issue I would greatly Appreciate it! thanx. BTW the marauder is a EFI not Carb
    Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

I had roughly the same problem, and when I finally went to clean the carbs, you know, every problem can be solved by cleaning the carbs, I noticed that the lower bolt holding number 3 rubber intake boot was missing.
    Took the boot off, cleaned the gunk that had worked its way under the flange, took the other three off, since I'm there, Gaskachinched the flanges, bolted them all back on, and have not had the problem since. Sounds like an intake tract leak that is affected by heat. CZ
    Last edited by CaptonZap; 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

so clean intake and should be good u think?

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Every joint between the butterfies and the valves should be checked. Some folks use a propane torch, unlit, and play it around the joints, with the motor running, and if/when it changes speed, look real close at where you were pointing it. The leak will suck in the propane and change the fuel/air ratio, causing a change in RPM. Any hoses on the induction system should be checked for cracks or leaks, also.
        Don't over do it with the valve on the propane jug, and do it outside. You don't want to burn your bikeup. CZ

Comment

I think it may be the air suction valves...unfortunately i dont know how to check this without a manual...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

got the back one off, its disgusting...but the good news is they can be cleaned and re-installed...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

So after taking the read valves out and changing the air filter as well as the tires, the dragon is back together...I just took her down the road and she feels a little slippery, as she should with brand new tires on her...the pipes sound good the final burn off is right at the end of the pipes making cool blue flames so i think im going to test her out tomorrow going to work, and then i'm thinking i'm going to re-tune her if shes still not idling right...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

pretty sure its the water temp sensor...weird how it effects your idle, but reading the manual over and over and over again, its makes sense esp. since i just had the radiator fixed and re-installed...first before i drop the 70 bux it costs i'm going to drain the fluid again and refill it...AGAIN...just in case it didn't bleed through the whole radiator...when i opened the drain its only trickled out...and then stopped...i think thats my problem...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

tore my bike and a friends bike apart today...got my bike up and running again...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

Working...
                  X