WTH! how can any bike cost this much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH! how can any bike cost this much?

Is there a Ducati fan out there that can explain this to me.
    thanks,
    Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...item2eb483b1bd
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

it's a collectors item, a rare bike, one of distinction. check the bid history, it started at $1000.00, granted, even at 80 G's the reserve is not met, I saw one just like it several years ago that went for something over $150,000. I would love to have one, but I don't have that kind of jack, so I was thinking of looking for a '74 750GT in a basket and modifying it to look like the SS. I do like the look of it quite a bit, but that's just me. have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I know this guy (Dad) and he has an amazing bike collection. A lot of vintage old Hondas and Nortons and Triumphs. His bikes in the past have fetched more than what the current price is at right now.

Comment

Good lord that is a sweet machine and the rest of the collection is no less stunning. Looks like theres at least $1 mil. worth of machinery...conservative estimate.
        1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
        2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

There is a local guy near here, and the father-in-law of a fellow that works for my company, has a similar collection of Porsche. He has been featured on TV, they call his place the Taj-ma-garage.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I've been to the Taj-Ma-Garage, my office Christmas party was there, I also went to a thing for the National Hemophilia foundation there. he does have a nice collection of Ferdinand and Ferry's finest creations. funny thing is, it's tucked into a hole in a rather run down area of downtown, but it is nice. have a nice day and ride safe
            I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

thanks

Still boggles my mind that a bike is worth that much, but then again I am pretty cheap and cannot understand 20 grand for a new bike when I can still find an XS for under 1.
              just wondering what kind of price range would this bike have cost in 74 or 75?

Snow, more freakin snow in MI today!
              I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Amazing that bidding got to $95+K without hitting the reserve price. Makes me wonder how much the '57 Chevy that I traded off about 40 years ago might be worth today!
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by RS Thornton View Post
                  Still boggles my mind that a bike is worth that much, but then again I am pretty cheap and cannot understand 20 grand for a new bike when I can still find an XS for under 1.
                  just wondering what kind of price range would this bike have cost in 74 or 75?

Snow, more freakin snow in MI today!
                  I had a mate at university in 1977 and he had one of these. The strange thing was that nobody really liked it much as it wasn't very reliable and we were all into Japanese bikes. He traded it in for a BMW, I seem to remember. They weren't that rare then though!
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I kow what you mean Ken, I sold a 67 VW bug for $75 and consider myself making out on the deal back in the 80s, Now the key alone is worh that!

Funny thing about this auction, its a 750, ain't those suppose to be beginner/giel bikes??
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Really nice bike but even with the history, I am not sure about the almost
                      100k for it. In the mid-late 70's when I was riding Laverda's, there was a guy that had a 900 Ducati SS. Top end was equal (almost) to my 1000 Jota and handled like it was on rails (at least for a bike of that era). Was fairly quick to. I guess you could say the early Ducatis, Lemans Moto Guzzis and even the Laverda were the orginial crotch rockets. Someone will buy it and most likely, sad to say, will park it in some collection.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

What's hilarious is they seller is asking for a "$200 deposit" within 24 hrs of auction close...
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                        X