Virago 700cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virago 700cc

Went riding with a bunch of buddies yesterday, one of whom has a '85 Virago 700 in pristime condition in his garage, save for a cracked brake drum on the rear wheel. He's been trying for months to find one locally but they may as well be made of Rocking Horse Sh*t over here. Does anyone have one, or know of anyone who does. I fond one on Ebay but the listing says he wont ship international and I cant tell if its a disk brake or a drum brake wheel. I dont know much about them so i dont know when they changed from drum to disk, but we need a drum one. I also dont know if the XV1100 wheels are the same but I suspect not.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Viragos have never used discs on the rear wheel.

Comment

Okay, that answers that one. Told you I didnt know much about them

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

The 750 Virago rear wheel should fit since the 700 was only a detuned 750 to meet a USA tariff on bikes over 750cc we had for a while to benefit H-D...

Tony
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Here's the link to cms parts fische http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xv700ss-...200/partslist/

Comment

You had it correct Brian, you asked for a brake drum, Mac just misread it as disc.

I would think the Virago 750 would be the same like Geezer stated. I do not have one, but I would think if you look on fleabay you could find a Virago parts bike or wheel with it on it that could be cheap enough.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Well if you can be bothered to check out the part numbers between the 700 and 750 you'll find a whole load of differences.
              WTFSIC.

Comment

Yeah, Thanks FJ, I'd already sussed out the differences but hadnt got round to posting on it. Seems that the 700 wheels arn't easy to come by.

Comment

Just because the part numbers are different, it doesn't mean the parts are. I must have seen this a 1000 times the years turning wrenches....

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if any of XZ550/XJ650/750/XJ Turbo wheels didn't fit as well. Same gear ratio on all of them. You might have to paint them, and put up with a different spoke pattern, but it would get you mobile.
                    Last edited by MacMcMacmac; 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

How many of them are drum brake ?

Comment

All of the smaller Virago bikes are drum brake. Meaning the 700, 750, 500, and 250. I did not check if the 920 and above do or not, typically bikes that big have disc all around. Oh, and BTW, both the 700 and the 750 share the exact same part number for the brake shoes.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          How many of them are drum brake ?
                          All of them. You might be giving up some tire width though. You might have to turn out a couple of spacers to get the centering right on the wheels.

The XV920RJ (TR-1) is a chain drive, so only the XV920 Virago would be a likely candidate.
                          Last edited by MacMcMacmac; 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Also, the 1000-1100 Viragos. Even the XJ sport bikes didn't get rear discs till they hit 900cc, except for the XJ750RL, which was a Canada/Australia only model, as far as I know. It was simply a 900 with a 750 motor.

Comment

Ok, good to know. Broadens the search field somewhat..

Comment

Working...
                              X