Grades of fuel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grades of fuel.

What grade of fuel do most XS1100s burn? Does a "big bore" job change that?
    I'm thinking of getting either a VMAX or FZ1...what grade of fuel is recommended for this level of hp ? Thanks for your answers.
    Geno

Lots of threads about this topic, and the answers are almost as diverse as an oil thread. Most folks use Regular, but there again, that can mean different things depending on your geographic location (octane ratings are not the same). The fuel that was available when these bikes came out was MUCH different from the fuel available today, so use your best judgement. Try the lower grade fuel, then try the higher and see if you notice a difference.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Like CBug said, most use regular, which is what the bike was designed to burn. Don't go by the owners manual, as the octane rating shown is not the same rating as what's currently listed on pumps. With mine, using higher grades made no noticable difference in performance and slightly lowered my mileage. I never had any issues with 'name brand' regular-grade fuel.

A big bore kit will raise compression and require premium fuel.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I need to use the mid grade 89 octane in both my XS's. With regular, it will "ping" if I get on it passing a car sometimes. Of course, I do have my ign. timing turned up a little for a snappier throttle response.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

In the summer, regular will bring on some ping. I just bite the bullet and get the top grade stuff on every fillup all year long. Its a small price to pay as far as I am concerned. I know my boat motor (5.7 chebbie), is not real fond of regular, runs ok but I do notice a difference. At 45 gallons per fillup, I find octane booster a viable option to the high priced stuff at the pump..
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

fuel

i only run premium in my bike and small engines...they put 10% ethanol in fuel these days ...and all mechanics here are making a killing recleaning and rebuilding carbs..if they sit for a couple of months ..one thing i have learned is to shot off fuel (peccocks) and crank the bike till she dies....to get all the fuel out of the carbs if you are not planning on riding for a couple of months and put new fuel in when ready to restart....yamaha sales a yamahalube fuel cleaner that is best made ...if you want to take loose the lines and fill with a baby animal feeder before you start to ride again.....do not crank the motor with this in the bowels and do not let sit more than a few days but will get rid of bad fuel in the carb bowels....hope this helps
            windjammer gump
            bikes now own
            1981xs1100sh special
            1971 cb 350
            mini chopper project
            bikes use to own
            1978 750/four..
            1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Mid-grade for everything including cages, never an issue. With two bikes(Honda ST/YamahaXS)one or the other and sometimes both will set in the garage 2-3months at a time and always start and run fine. BTW, do NOT use battery tenders either. They WILL reduce the overall battery life substantually. Both bikes batteries are over 51/2yrs. old now and still meet cranking specs.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

i run reg octane gas ..87 all year except the first fill-up of the year! my bike sits all winter with stabilizer in the tank and i think its a help to run premium 91 to get rid of that ,,just my 2 cents ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Big Bore Fuel

I ran numerous dyno runs with a big bore kit and aftermarket cams. Mid grade fuels gave us the best Torque and HP numbers. Premium fuels actually decreased the numbers. Regular fuel did not work well at all. Our testing was done with Shell fuel which seemed to burn cleaner than most other brand name fuels. I would avoid higher ethanol blend fuels and discount retailers. Octane boost additives are generally a waste of money in these engines
                  BDF
                  I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Wow you think we had the same bike or what . !!!!!!
                    Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                    I ran numerous dyno runs with a big bore kit and aftermarket cams. Mid grade fuels gave us the best Torque and HP numbers. Premium fuels actually decreased the numbers. Regular fuel did not work well at all. Our testing was done with Shell fuel which seemed to burn cleaner than most other brand name fuels. I would avoid higher ethanol blend fuels and discount retailers. Octane boost additives are generally a waste of money in these engines
                    BDF
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I run 87 in everything I own, truck, SUV, bike, 4-wheeler, lawn mower, the works! I avoid ethanol like the plague though.
                      Richard
                      '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                      '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
                        I avoid ethanol like the plague though.
                        You folks in OK have a choice... That's the only place I've seen that even OFFERS fuel without ethanol.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          You folks in OK have a choice... That's the only place I've seen that even OFFERS fuel without ethanol.
                          Wasn't aware of that. I guess we're still lucky for the time being. I know the gas stations here that offer both never have a line at the pump with the ethanol!
                          Richard
                          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Working...
                          X