R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1

Ok any advice or comments will be welcomed. How many that know me think I will last very long on the 2003 R1 I am picking up tommorrow?
    Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
    2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
    Cullen Hightower

Dave,

An R1 huh? I would have gone with a FZ1 or FJR1300, better ergos and both generation ahead of the XS in terms of power, brakes and handling. But since you have picked a pure sports bike I hope you are comfortable on it. I have a 1200 Bandit and I have managed not to kill myself on it yet. Nobody makes you ride like an idiot just because you can, the throttle on a modern sportbike is an awesome responsibility. See you at XS east next year, and bring the R1, I want to take it for a ride!!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Hey harleydave, just remember to ride like you are invisible to everyone except the PSP. And their radios are faster than your R1.

Let us know how you like it.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Gary Granger wrote:
        Nobody makes you ride like an idiot just because you can, the throttle on a modern sportbike is an awesome responsibility.
        I'll second Gary's comments. I just got my '87 GSX-R1100 on the road a few weeks ago. It does everything so easily compared with the XS11 and weighs about 1/3 less. Think about accellerating and it's there. Think again and...

That's an OLD sport bike! Don't let the amazing potential of the R1 make you do bad things.

Keep us posted!
        Bill K.
        1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
        1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

I rode an R1 a couple months ago, I really loved it. How about a report on what you like / don't like?
          Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Well I cant really find anything I dont like, except I dont like this breakin period! I will get some pics soon, got some extras coming for it. If you ever seen the black with red flames you get the idea. It is awesome!!! Let you know more this weekend, they tell me i can go up to 9000 rpms then(500 miles). By the way RAIN still sucks on an R1.
            Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
            2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
            Cullen Hightower

Comment

Ok 400 miles on so far and she is starting to feel more powerful....cool! :0
              Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
              2003 YZF-R1

Cullen Hightower

Comment

R1

had my r1 for over a year now,but remember,when going roundbends with everything on the limitDO NOT give it a handfull in the rain whoops,when i took mine to 177mph the seat was getting sucked up were the sun dont shine.to enjoy it properly ride the ###### like you robbed it .

Comment

Yep Yep "Ride it Like You Stole It!!!" I also found that the rear wheel comes up easy , and the front wheel isnt too hard eaither but anything under 15 sucks to manuver very much except basics... (just had to take my drivers test on it)
                  Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
                  2003 YZF-R1

Cullen Hightower

Comment

Working...
                  X